Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Advice regarding energy drinks
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I have generally avoided energy drinks because most of them taste awful and make me gag (no joke, I really struggle with them). The main issue I suffer from is cramping after three or four hours, especially when it’s warm. It would appear that loss of electrolytes is my main issue.

The drinks I have tried have mainly been isotonic ones to combat this but it these with the worst after taste.

I tried a free sachet of High5 Energy source last weekend and it was bearable. This is primarily an energy source, but the bumpf mentions key electrolytes. Is this likely to have any benefit or do I need a full on isotonic drink?

If it is the latter, can anyone recommend one that doesn’t taste too metallic (so far I’ve only really the High5 Zero stuff).

Thanks

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

USN Cyto power

I used this for my last 4 hour plus ride in heat and only cramped up in last few miles . . .

tastes okay too

tragically1969
    Free Member

One word, Nuun…..

DT78
    Free Member

I like sis stuff, you can buy a starter pack for not too much. I use salt tabs to avoid cramp I find relying on drinks alone doesn’t cut it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I use the High5 stuff, but the zero calorie option. It’s just cafeine and electrolytes. I’m convinced that it stops me cramping on epic rides. I’ve ridden up to 100 miles off road with no cramps. For energy, I prefer real food, like flapjack, malt loaf and the occasioanl SIS Energy bar.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Glad I’m not the only one who suffers from cramp – thought I was going to get told that I was fat and unfit and to MTFU 😛

I’ll give the Nunn stuff a whirl and possibly the Zero neutral flavour becasue I can drop it in with some orange squash (I have been put off the Zero tabs because the flavoured ones that I have tried have been grim).

mindmap3
    Free Member

Fuel wise I use malt loaf and / or bars (I particularly like the Torq jobbies). So I think I’m after a drink to replace what I lose in sweat rather than to fuel me.

rossi46
    Free Member

Energy drinks can be a problem for people like me with Crohns disease or IBS- as they will make the symptoms of those conditions worse. Stomach cramps are no joke!
    I use High 5 and have no problem with stomach cramps- iv’e used High 5 Zero tablets and the 4:1 powder. Both are excellent and taste nice too!

EDIT- I had a taste issue with some of them, but the lemon and lime/ citrus is lovely!

honourablegeorge

Nuun comes in a good variety of flavours – should be able to find one to suit, and it’s good stuff. (or certainly has a good placebo effect on me)

tragically1969
    Free Member

The High5 Zeros always tasted artificial to me when i tried some freebies, hence the Nuun.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Big fan of Nuun but use a fair bit of high5 as I always seem to have freebies

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

+ 1 for NUUN, really good stuff.

i find a good natural alternative to isotonic drinks though is just orange juice mixed half and half with water. This is my go to on touring trips and long rides…

mindmap3
    Free Member

Tragically, that’s probably a better way to describe the Zero freebies I’ve had. I’ve found some bars to be like that too (particularly one yoghurt bar I bought in error).

Will get some Nunn ordered and see how I go.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Master, read something similar on a nutrition article on Bike Magic but mixed with lemon juice and salt.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with flavour. I’m not drinking gallons of the stuff. I have a camelbak with plain water in, and a 750ml bottle of High5 that I take a slug from every half an hour or so, so flavour isn’t really an issue.

nealy
    Free Member

I used to put a couple of High5 Zero tabs in my camelbak but found they made very little difference to how I felt or cramping compared to plain water, what made the difference was how big the ride was and how fit I was…so really I think it is a case of MTFU 😉

If I’m doing a really big ride I’ll fill a water bottle with home made energy drink (1 litre diluted cordial, 60g-80g sugar & high5 tab) to supplement my jam butties and Jordans Frusli bars. Also after a big ride I have a bottle of Yazoo chocolate milk for recovery and because I’m a child and like chocolate milk.

You need to make sure you’re eating the right stuff but there’s no need to take it too seriously or buy expensive sports specific stuff

mindmap3
    Free Member

Nealy – most of the time I’m fine, its just on the longer rides (MTB and road) that I start to cramp as I tire and have sweated loads. I’m not as fit as I could be, but I’m working on that with the road bike, running etc. I’m pretty good at getting though the water in my camelbak on a ride (and drink a descent amount even when not riding so I don’t think that it is a hyrdation issue).

Not trying to take it too seriously either, was just hoping to find something for longer rides to help keep the cramp away…because it hurts! It would be too expensive to use these for my normal shorter rides.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Energy drinks are quite a difficult balancing act to get right IMO. Too much and they can have the opposite effect. I also suffer quite a lot during racing from leg cramps. They usually come on after a couple of hours in the saddle especially when it is hot even though I feel I have a lot in the tank. A sport scientist recommended me to put regular salt in my drink when I am training to replenish the lost salts. Another secret tip I have heard is necking magnesium tablets when the cramps come on. I have started using a German product called Iston Akitv3 which though tastes a little artificial doesn’t upset my stomach or give me a raging thirst like some of them do,

mooman
    Free Member

Half beetroot juice, 4teaspoons raw honey, 1/4 redbull and topped up with water.

One bottle lasts me all day. Mind you – i hate taste of beetroot ..

d45yth
    Free Member

If you can’t bear energy or electrolyte drinks don’t waste your money on them! If you don’t like what you’re drinking you won’t drink often enough. Have a look at the Hammer Endurolyte tablets or suchlike instead.

scrumfled
    Free Member

I take a special supplement of scientifically recommended salts, carbs and fluids.

Bag of salt n vinegar crisps and a pint of lemonade.

If I cant stop, its jelly babies + water.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Was reading this morning that cramp is not related to electrolytes or drinks etc, but related to fitness or a lack of it. No empirical evidence to connect drinks/cramps. I offer that not as a slur on any cramp sufferers, just an interesting observation

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I used to use Nunn and before that SIS. Now use the simple OJ or squash with pinch of sugar and two pinches of salt. Job done for me. Salt pinch varies depending on temp and length of ride

vdubber67
    Free Member

It was a coach called Jim Vance @jimvance if anyone’s intrigued

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Very personal tastes IMO.

I have tried most of the ones mentioned above and hate them all especially SIS as it’s way too sweet. Anything less than 4 hours I just have water and a gel in emergencies, but when I do use them ZipVit is my choice now.

Can you not take salty snacks?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mulletus – being a Friday and feeling ready for the weekend, I didn’t really think about salty snacks. Guess its a bit easier / cheaper than tablets.

Vdubber, there probably is an element of fitness to it, but I do seem to suffer far worse in warmer weather than the cold, hence my assumption that it was related to sweating.

Mooman – that drink sounds rank! Possibly even worse than a flavoured Zero drink!

allthepies
    Free Member

The OP asked about energy drinks, the Nuun tabs are for electrolyte replacement and contain negligible energy content. They do (IMO) help with cramping problems so when taken with some energy source are great for long rides.

TiRed

Nuun for salt rehydration and SIS gels for carbs (after cake and nanas, obviously). I can’t take energy drinks or many other gels either.

beej

To support vdubber, all the recent research I’ve seen discussed is pointing towards cramp being caused by exercising harder or longer than you are used to, and nothing to do with electrolytes.

Here’s a link to get you started:
    http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/05/muscle-cramp-theory.html

SamB
    Free Member

I use the High5 stuff, but the zero calorie option. It’s just cafeine and electrolytes. I’m convinced that it stops me cramping on epic rides. I’ve ridden up to 100 miles off road with no cramps. For energy, I prefer real food, like flapjack, malt loaf and the occasioanl SIS Energy bar.

^^ This is also what I do. High5 zero citrus is quite pleasant!

longwayhome
    Free Member

I used to get headaches doing 6-8 hour/30-40 mile rides. I would drink 3 litres of water during the ride and still be thirsty but would pee a lot out, more than normal. I eventually came to the conclusion the problem was loss of electrolytes.

About the same time Chain Reaction were giving free High5 samples with orders and I got half a dozen of the zero electrolyte tablets.

I started putting them in my water and the headache problem went away.

Since then I’ve bought some more electrolyte tablets (from a PSA on here) but when they run out I’ve read a cheaper alternative is Dioralyte (electrolytes for when you have diarrhoea) or a Boots/Asda/Tesco own-brand version. Between all of them you should find a flavour you like.

[Actually have just looked up Dioralyte and it appears to have glucose in it as well. Not sure of the actual ammount but could be useful as energy source]

chief9000
    Free Member

OP asked about energy drinks. As you are asking about them, I am assuming that you are expecting to use the drink as a preferred source of fuel during exercise.

You should begin within 30 mins of exercise (drinking energy drink or an alternative or eat). You should aim to take in 30-60g of carb per hour. More your body cannot convert to glycogen (fuel)

isotonic sport drink (500ml)= 30g carb
    Diluted fruit juice (500ml)= 30g carb
    1 handful raisins or sultanas = 30g carb
    1-2 bananas = 30g carb

To make your own isotonic sport drink:
    200ml fruit squash + 80 ml water 1-1.5 g salt
    or
    500ml fruit juice +500ml water + 1-1.5 g salt (i use this one)

The salt actually encourages you to drink as well as providing some electrolyte assistance. Water on its own tends to quench thirst before you are properly hydrated.

Bingo… my advice is you don’t need to buy a sports drink. Make you own and eat bananas. I keep mine in my ass, so when im ready to eat its nice and warm 😯

rossi46
    Free Member

Half beetroot juice, 4teaspoons raw honey, 1/4 redbull and topped up with water.

😯 Whoa 😯

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Cramps = eat a banana. You’re body is low on potassium. Bananas are full of the stuff.
    You can eat too many apparently though. My mate Ben was told to eat less than 2 a day as they were destroying his teeth?!

vincienup
    Free Member

Moved from SIS to Torq and no caffeine elements anymore (sick of the crash)

With regard to bananas and Ben mentioned above- worth bearing in mind they change massively with ripeness.
    Less ripe bananas (firmer, bit green) are full of complex starch. As they soften (ripen) this becomes increasingly converted to sugar. I’d guess that riper bananas would have more impact on teeth. But then so would sugary drinks…

vincienup
    Free Member

Worth bearing in mind you can play with dilution – and Torq also do flavourless options.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Advice regarding energy drinks’ is closed to new replies.