Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Advice regarding cars
  • curtisthecat
    Free Member

So, some advice is needed regarding my car situation. I currently own a VW Passat tdi estate on a S reg with 144 000 miles. It has proven faultless and has taken us through Europe several times(Portugal last summer) and still gets excellent fuel mileage. But it is going on for 11 years old and I am worried that major stuff is going to start happening. Looking on Auto Trader the price I would get would allow me to trade up to a similar spec 02-03 reg Ford Mondeo(boring I know). Is this a good idea? Does anybody have experience with Mondeos? Or should I carry on with the Passat(I will need to get at least another 2-3 years out of it).

Thank you for your opinions.

MrNutt
    Free Member

stick with the VW, maybe give it a service?

5thElefant
    Free Member

My bros Renault diesel has 400k on it. My petrol 535 BMW did 250k. 144k is just about run in.

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Get good recovery insurance for longer trips and keep running till 200+

Del

yep – join the aa and love the nail.
    second hand cars are so cheap now they’re throw away.
    give it a couple of years and throw it away, the spend a couple of grand on something equivalent.
    or buy a vectra brand new for 8k.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Just spotted this.

The Mondeo’s 02-04 is a great drive (not that boring, esp the ST I’d rate it about an A4 and equivalent Passat, Saab 9.3) and you could get a great car, with a lot more kit etc than your older Passat.

Be very aware though, they have a problem with Duratorq clutch dual mass flywheel that only develops after 80,000 miles.

It starts to throw off iron filling debris that **** the starter motor. There was a voluntary recall in 2007 but lots weren’t done. If it hasn’t been changing it will cost you £1000+

More details:
    http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/765131/post/1398447/http://

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=119

glenh
    Free Member

If nothing expensive is currently wrong then keep it.

I recently upgraded my old car with similar miles for one a few years newer, but thats cos’ all the suspension was knacked and would have cost nearly as much as the car was worth to replace.

hora
    Free Member

So essentially your going from a car you know and are happy with to a old car with an unknown history to you? What if you have to start flinging money at a lemon? True, major problems can suddenly occur with no warnings on any car but on the balance of things I’d stuck with yours. A taxi driver who once picked me up told me that theres a known problem on the TDCI (he has a mondeo estate) that can happen and it costs 700quid atime to fix- I think its linked to the clutch? Hes had it happen twice (of course he is a taxi driver!)

Do’h just seen the above- thats it! 🙂

Stick with the Passat.

hora
    Free Member

andy- he said if the cars out of warranty its tough-titty.

Yes I talk more than the taxi drivers – I talk to every singleone to death about their cars mileage, their thoughts etc. I bet some must think ‘oh shut up you loon’…others think wahay! At last a punter who wants to talk!

Stu

I bet some must think ‘oh shut up you loon’

Indeed some must 😉

hora
    Free Member

I knew someone would say that 🙄 🙂

skidartist
    Free Member

The best car is the devil you know. If you are buying a used car you can only guess at how its been treated and why the owner wants to sell it.

If the one you’ve got works and does what you need it to, look after it and keep it.

My ex boss gave his old passat to one of his staff, as he thought it was on its last legs and the guy needed a run around car as a stop gap. Ten years later the passat was still getting him to work everyday.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I agree entirely, each time you buy a second hand car you introduce a whole raft of possible problems, stick with the one you know. If something big goes it’ll likely be as cheap as chips to fix anyway as the car is so old.

chakaping
    Free Member

I got an ’02 Mondeo last year, the 2.0 Zetec petrol model.

Might not have a lot of prestige but it’s a fantastic car to drive. It’s both involving and very comfortable. It just does everything right. Prices are reasonable too.

Very impressed.

taka
    Free Member

mi dad had a volvo 240 estate had 280,000 miles on it only problem had with it was that the waterpump npacked in we drove it to the scraapers and picked up another 1 for a tenner

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I currently own a VW Passat tdi estate on a S reg with 144 000 miles. It has proven faultless and has taken us through Europe several times(Portugal last summer) and still gets excellent fuel mileage. But it is going on for 11 years old and I am worried that major stuff is going to start happening.

Well I’ve got a T-reg version of exactly the same thing… Currently on 172k, with no major issues, so I don’t think you’ve got much to worry about, so long as it’s been looked after.

Mine has had new dampers, new anti roll bar bushes and links, a rebuild of all the door locks (dry joints in the central locking units) and a damp problem with the comfort control module, all of which are generic type faults. Other than that, it’s been totally reliable. It’s starting to make a few clunks from the front end now on crap surfaces which I need to investigate, but it breezed the drive down to the Alps last summer (4th time), and got thoroughly caned over some big mountain passes and didn’t miss a beat (or drink much oil). Still on its original clutch and exhaust.

Fret ye not!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Advice regarding cars’ is closed to new replies.