Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Advice please – which forks for an old hardtail?
  • masood
    Free Member

I’m a new member, so first of all, hello!

I have an old Cannondale F400 (CAAD2 frame), which originally had Rockshox Indy S forks on (80mm travel, I think?). I also have a 2005 Marin Mount Vision, which has the original Fox F100 RL on.

The forks from the Cannondale have been nicked to put on an old Kona that I’m selling, so I’m looking for a replacement pair.

I could either put the Fox fork on to the Cannondale, and splash out on a better pair for the Marin, or just buy a replacement for the Cannondale. Either way, I’m looking for advice as to what is good (and not too pricey!)

Looking at these http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSREGTK/rockshox-recon-gold-rl-100mm-fork-with-lockout–coil as a straight replacement – any comments/experiences of them?

I like fast, twisty, rooty singletrack but also do a lot of road mileage. Don’t do big downlhill stuff/massive drops or jumps at all. Remote lockout would be an advantage, as I find having to fiddle with the lockout a pain when riding the Marin.

Thanks in advance!
    Masood

redthunder
    Free Member

Hello and welcome 🙂

Those forks sound good, you could also consider Rockshox secktors.

and on another note..

I have a pair of wrecked fox float rl’s pity there is now after market add on to make them rigid. They are quite light and it seems a shame to dump them.

There must be loads of old light forks kicking around in sheds that could make rigid for older bike builds.

ampthill

If it were me I’d try and find a 80mm fork. Even an 80mm fork will be longer than the one you took off.

masood
    Free Member

@ampthill – really? The Indy S had either 80mm or 100mm travel, so not sure where the extra length is that you’re referring to? I thought that overall length would be reasonably standard for XC-type forks for a given amount of travel?

I found some 80mm travel forks, but they are way more than I want to spend…

ampthill

When I phoned orange they confirmed what my tape told me, forks have got longer at the same travel

I can’t find the length for an Indy. I think for my manitou sx a recon at 80mm travel was 11mm longer and on its own no real issue.

But on 100mm forks it would have been to much for me

It may not be an issue on rock shox sids haven’t changed in length since 1999. I just found that out

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Advice please – which forks for an old hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.