Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice Please: Replacing hydraulic hose? (hope mono mini)
  • canopy
    Free Member

Hi,

I have some Hope Mono Mini brakes, during the process of fitting new pads (and diaphragms) and doing a bleed over the weekend I noticed that the rear hose has rubbed through in one place. It wasn’t actually leaking and I had both brakes set up OK (reach/bite points roughly equal etc). After a 4 hour ride yesterday only the rear seems to have degraded feel wise. it pulls back to the bars and it was never great during the ride. I’m having to assume the hose is the failure point in lieu of nothing else obvious. Plus, knowing its iffy will bug me.. 🙂

I’ve googled and discovered I may have 5mm or 6mm hoses, so will have to check what’s on my bike once i’m home, so, that aside..

Parts wise is it just a case of a new length of hose and a new olive for each end?

andyl
    Free Member

you should be able to re-use Hope olives as they are split ones and just need careful opening up.

I think the normal black hose is 5mm and the braided is 6mm but don’t rely on that as I only have the new Tech 3 E4/V4 brakes.

roverpig

you should be able to re-use Hope olives as they are split ones and just need careful opening up.

True in theory, although I always tend to break them when I try 😳 So, best to have a spare just in case.

The hoses did change. I had a very old set of XC4s with 6mm hoses and my newer X2s are 5mm. I guess the mono was between those two, which isn’t much help.

canopy
    Free Member

I just found something that claims all hope products since 2005 use 5mm, prev owner had my bike built in 2009 so its likely to be 5mm. however, i have seen pictures comparing the calipers with two sizes so I will be checking before buying

ref: https://www.cycletyres.com/connector-kit-for-brake-hoses-on-hope-brake-master-cylinders-2960.html

confusing much?

canopy
    Free Member

haven’t had a chance to check my hose.. bit the bullet and order a 5mm one and some matching olives.. if its wrong i’ll buy ends to match rather than the harder task of finding a 6mm hose 🙂

tjagain

6mm hose is not available now that I could find. If it is 6mm then you need a complete set of end fittings to convert to 5mm. there is much more difference in the hoses than 1mm when you look at them – the 5mm is the size of gear cable or less, the 6mm at least a s big as brake cable

My mono minis are all 6mm

martinb
    Free Member

I used Superstar 4 layer hose and stainless fitting kit no 5 for my Hope Mini’s ( even older) and it worked a treat.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice Please: Replacing hydraulic hose? (hope mono mini)’ is closed to new replies.