Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Advice please-One 29er Carbon forks owners
  • technicallyinept
    Free Member

Have just wasted all of this evening trying to fit discs to a spare set of wheels.

They are 29er wheels from Planet-X and centerlock 'style'. The actual hub uses an adapter to enable centerlock discs to to fitted.

I have tried the following:
    A Shimano centerlock rotor on the supplied adapter
    A 6 bolt rotor on a Superstar centerlock to 6 bolt adapter, itself fitted to the supplied adapter.

In each of these configurations there is no room for the rotor. It will squeeze in but the wheel won't spin properly.

The caliper is in it's most outboard position. The rotor may actually be catching on the caliper bracket.

Same hub looks like it will work ok on the back at there is a bit more room to move things about.

Reattached the rotor to the 6 bolt wheel and noticed that whilst it fits there isn't much room for adjustment. There's about 1mm space between the rotor and the caliper bracket.

Both hubs (the 6 bolt and centerlock) are from Planet-X (I think made by Joytec). Does anyone know if they are a bit on the wide side?

I think I'm going to have to get the rims built onto a new set of hubs.

So, for anyone with these forks – what hubs are you running?

nuke

I have O-O 29er forks and ran the O-O 29er wheelset (Sounds the same as you describe) with them and also ran an XT Centrelock hub with them….both with Shimano 160mm CL rotors. For both hubs, the disc was very close to the dropout and in fact I did email Brant (This was a while ago) with regard to this. His response…

"so long as it clears it's fine :-)"

hth 😀

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Thanks Nuke

I was wondering if I hadn't seated the rotor properly on the adapter as it needed some persuasion to go on (i.e a hammer). But, I'm getting the same problem using an adapter on the adapter which slips on easy.

Just don't want to end up wasting more money with the wrong choice of hub.

nuke

I never really thought of the adapter on the hub as an adapter as I never knew what it was converting from…I guess from disc-less to disc. I do recall it did come off easily unlike the centrelock rotor which I had to beat off if I wanted to remove it from the adapter.

I used the O-O 6-bolt to CL converters. Just to add to the incompatibility, I also recall the bit on the hub you screw the locknut on to hold the rotor in place was a different diameter to other hubs so you could only use the locknut that came with the hubs.

Clong
    Free Member

I use a chris king hub, standard qr. The rotor runs very close to the fork leg, about 3mm close. Its never caused a problem. Brakes are avid bb7, 200mm rotor.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Advice please-One 29er Carbon forks owners’ is closed to new replies.