Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice please on building a custom wheel set .
  • TOOL
    Free Member

Looking at potentially building a custom wheelset , always wanted to do so.

So question are:

1. Which hubs ?

2. Which rims ?

3. Which spokes ?

I only ride XC & i personally don’t want to go tubeless.

Any advice received will be good thanks.

Living the Dream

Scott,

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Chris King hubs, Spank Oozy rims, Aci spokes.

That’s what I’m building after Christmas when Santa delivers the rims I bought the other day and hung up in the garage!

TOOL
    Free Member

Sounds good thanks for that.

Yes the Chris Kings are high on the list.

Why the Oozy rims & Aci spokes ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

For me, Hope hubs, DT comp or Sapim race spokes with stans rims.

Hope hubs are great, maybe not the best in the world but easy to service or get spares for and the back up is second to none.

Spokes, both are really good double butted spokes that also come in black.

Stans rims. I just love them for the face that no-one else comes close to them for the balance of width and weight. Perasonal fave is the Flow.

For more specific advice, might be a good idea to describe your weight and riding style.

messiah
    Free Member

DT Swiss hubs.
    ENVE carbon rims
    DT revolution spokes

In my dreams 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

The trouble with a build on Hope hubs is that the Hoops are such stonking value that I can’t see why anyone would bother custom building anything similar.

If you want something of Chris King ilk then I’d get DT240s on Stan’s Alpine with Revolution spokes if you’re light/want light weight or DT Comps if tougher/stiffer is more important.

IMO King hubs are not worth it, expensive, heavy, need regular maintenance. I’d not bother again.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Currently I have some Mavic 729 rims, ACI spokes, CK hubs. The rims are pretty heavy duty DH rims and they weigh a ton so I’m actually dropping down a few notches in strength to save weight. 700g to 460g per wheel.

The Spank rims were £50 S/H off here but never made up as wheels so new in fact. Also they’re called SPANK which is always makes me smile 😀

ACi spokes cos they do the job and don’t cost a fortune. Also, all the wheels I’ve built have used ACi spokes, mainly cos I bought a load ages back as for a box of 144 they weren’t much dearer than buying 32 pimpy DT Swiss spokes…never had a problem with them either and they’ve been on wheels I;ve built for a few years now including numerous miles spent riding down Alps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice please on building a custom wheel set .’ is closed to new replies.