Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • post removed re; advice requested on new bike
  • rob3003
    Free Member

post removed – thanks for at least one helpful response

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So you didn’t actually try it before you bought it?

Riiight……

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Take it back and get a proper bike

DrP

It’s all about KOMs these days.

Any KOMs on it? If so, screw the fit..

DrP

imnotverygood

On the campag question. Yes it is more agricultural (positive ) in movement. But it isn’t so bad that it is unusable. It is something you end up getting used to (I prefer it personally) I don’t think that a shop is going to let you do a 30+ test ride and the return the bike just because you don’t like it. I also don’t think there is any way of proving that the bike set up caused the injury. If you haven’t ridden a particular road bike for some time I suspect there is always a risk of your first few rides causing a problem. I find myself with a few aches and pains when moving from my summer to my winter bike but these ease as I get used to a racier position.

cloudnine
    Free Member

What colour is the bike?

DrP

Is this a glitch in the matrix…?
    I didn’t reply to THIS thread!

DrP

cloudnine
    Free Member

OPs bike didn’t fit even though lasers were used. His knees hurt and doesn’t like campag

monksie
    Free Member

They balls’ed the set up, up. Probably crossed wires along the line of ‘The bike needs a 90mm stem, the saddle height dropping and it needs a pre delivery ‘once over’ which was heard as “The bike has had a 90mm stem fitted, saddle dropped and pre delivery ‘once over’.
    Not great but possible…..possibly.
    Campagnolo IS clunky. It’s a definite change rather than a smooth change. Some people love it, some people don’t.
    Your leg will get better. Probably a pulled muscle or something. Not great. Especially with a new bike to ride. Couple of days, you’ll be right.
    Not a great start. A chain of mistakes.
    But.
    You spent 2.2k on a bike where you didn’t gave a go? You didn’t get a feel of Campag. before you bought it? You didn’t have a sit on the bike after the fitting and before you took it home?
    As above. It’s a disappointing start but it so easily could have been prevented from getting this far.
    Next step? if you really don’t want the bike, talk to the shop and see if they’ll take it back. Might have a better chance of swapping it for another over a refund.
    You can’t buy a bad bike for that money, only a bike that won’t suit you.
    Good luck.

rob3003
    Free Member

no glitch Dr P – i realised I sounded a total moron and was more than likely to get told that.

To ‘I’m not very good’ – thanks for your reply. I feel you are right particularly re: taking it back. But it was the whole caboodle with the bad mechanical set up as well as the poor fit set up.

I was swayed by the laser beams! 🙂

BTW ‘cloud nine’ – it’s bare carbon black, lacquered and stickered up- lovely looking.

Expensive lesson learned – no one died. Still got a nice bike to go at and group sets can be replaced when required.

Maybe I can put the Campag Athena on the classifieds on here if me and it don’t get on! 🙂

Ta

rob3003
    Free Member

Thanks Monksie – I agree, its not a bad bike at all. Suppose I expected all singing and dancing service/fitting.

Thanks again to all

monksie
    Free Member

To be fair to you, spending £2,000….hell, not much over £1,000 on a bike should have you feeling excited and happy without a bike fit to boot so yes, I’d be disappointed too.
    Put the bad start behind you and begin again with the bike you’ve bought, would be my advice.
    Look forward to riding it. Ride it and give the whole thing a chance. A few months and a few thousand Km’s sort of chance (assuming it fits now).
    More importantly, what bike did you get and any pictures?

RustySpanner

Ask them for a proper refit, with someone talking you through the process?

And yes, carbon and Campag sounds interesting, pics please.
    🙂

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve had dozens of bikes over the years and they’ve all felt a bit different or strange at first.
    Laser bike fits !!!!! Come on really ?? Maybe some people see the value but they go totally over my head.
    I bet you’ve got a great bike, get the gears adjusted, sort the saddle hight, rotate the bars a bir and get out riding. Thats all there is to it.

tonyg2003

I’ve got one Athena bike which was really well set up and it hardly feels clunkier than my bikes with Record on. Sounds like your bike might have not been too well sorted gears wise?

rob3003
    Free Member

Another malfunction prior to a ride this AM lead to another trip to the shop and a full refund. The guy serving me was very apologetic and really sorry that the previous bloke (on hole now) messed up the fit/set up completely. Cant fault the second lad – he tried his best to offer compensation/inducements to keep the bike – he seemed really disappointed I was not happy as he knew it should be a dream bike and that when he went over the bike himself he knew it was done wrongly. Shame as it was truly gorgeous and on the wee ride I had i did like the feel of the carbon frame and lovely light wheels – a bit of step up on my scott speedster. Italian stallion it were…

Will start again in the Spring – plenty of time to find a decent shop/bike combo.

Any ideas in Yorkshire?

Many thanks again to you for your help – I’ll know better next time

deviant
    Free Member

Do people really get the shop to set up the fit for them?
    I can understand the bike fitting service for racers but for casual riders (which most of us are let’s be honest) surely you play around with the stem, bar position, seatpost and saddle position when you get home?

I usually go out on the first few rides with some allen keys and change things as I ride to find the sweet spot, it’s a very personal thing and I’d be sceptical about a shop getting it right for me…. and having a tinker is half the fun of a new bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘post removed re; advice requested on new bike’ is closed to new replies.