Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)
  • Advice please – looks like I've been scammed
  • anthonyb
    Free Member

Good luck and keep us informed!

Amos
    Free Member

It's been 14 hours and heard nothing from Denis? What's happening!? Hope he's not scamming us I want to know the outcome!

Denis99
    Free Member

Waiting for the police to contact me back with news.

hora
    Free Member

Keep at them polite but firmly. They can't arrest you for being a victim. All the best 🙂

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Hope it all works out ok and you get your lens or cash back.

I've bought a lot of s/h stuff on the net (including a £16k car, that gave me a few sleepless nights) and it's always come good, but I'm always conscious there's a lot of unscrupulous scumbags out there. I only buy from sites with a feedback system and hence from sellers with good feedback.

tommo
    Free Member

Hope it works out for you, sounds like very tough luck. Hopefully it will be the bank's mistake.

Denis99
    Free Member

The seller has contacted me after 5 days of silence.

He's emailed me saying that he's gone on holiday in Cornwall without his mobile – but he's been checking his emails to keep in touch.

Well I emailed him about two days ago saying I was concerned about the situation and wanted him to get in touch with me – otherwise he'd leave me with no option other than involve the police – as it looks like fraud – but he didn't get in touch then…..

Anyway, he doesn't seem to think its too much fuss to have the lens and my £975 for a fortnight……

I did tell him that I wanted the lens for a specific event last weekend , and when I emailed him this week, I said I needed it this weekend…

I don't think he realises the stress he has caused, I've given him my contact details again, but he still hasn't contacted me, therefore, I keeping the police option open for the moment.

He hasn't even checked to see if the money has cleared in his account yet.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Sounding better though and pretty sure a real scammer wouldn't have been in touch

Some people are just very laid back and can't understand everyone not feeling the same way

Reckon it will all be ok and the mobile bit could be true, I don't even have one

hora
    Free Member

He hasn't even checked to see if the money has cleared in his account yet.

Press ahead I say. Good luck 🙂

takisawa2

Ask him for a landline no in Cornwall that you can call him on…
    Sorry, but just sounds like this prat is playing for time.
    If he had a grand of my cash I'd be outside his bloody door.

Try setting up a new email address & account on this camera site. Get a few people to buy/sell to you if needed.
    Then contact him asking if the lens is still for sale…tell him you've the cash ready, maybe a bit more if he can post quickly etc.
    Just to see what he says…

Denis99
    Free Member

takisawa2

Thanks, I've had a friend email him about the lens (about a week ago), he didn't reply.

I think he is playing me badly – just spoke to the police who are getting back to me soon……

falk1
    Free Member

I feel for you, it doesn't sound great. If I was selling something to someone and there was any sort of issue I'd want it sorted straight away. I buy a lot of stuff online, like for eg. furniture I got recently (from this crowd http://www.fashion4home.co.uk)but its usually proper companies. Its sad to say but sometimes you just cant trust people. I hope it gets sorted soon for you.

takisawa2

Meant to add, hoping this comes good for you.

Denis99
    Free Member

Just an update.

Still no progress…

Seller does appear to be genuine, he has been in touch , but the money transfer is still in limbo.

My bank (RBS) has confirmed the transfer was successful.

His bank (Nationwide) have confirmed that the money is not in a holding account for any abnormality.

Money is not in the sellers bank account – as of today…….over two weeks.

It appears that the money can stay in limbo for an indefinite period – never use bank transfer again.

soulrider
    Free Member

I have used Bank Transfers many many times.

even with one or 2 people on this site I have transfered cash to.
    I am with the HSBC where it states the funds should be in the other's account within 2 hours. that includes on an evening (though I believe it doesnt appear in their account until the following morning)
    This said I have never transferred money to the Nationwide.

I do hope the issue is resolved soon

Denis99
    Free Member

I've got a bit of an update, but would appreciate some advice from anyone who works in a bank to help me get my £975 back.

It appears that the chap was on holiday for 2 weeks and didn't bother progressing this issue for me – I'm still a little suspious about him, but probably err on giving him the benefit of doubt about not trying to steal my money (just) – still very annoyed with him , he doesn't seem to think that I have an issue here….

Anyway.

The £975 was successfully transfered to his account details 3 weeks ago.

He says it is not in his account.

Its not in the Nationwide holding / query account.

He's dragging his feet in contacting and sorting this out – still.

Who can I get in touch with at either bank (mine RBS , his Nationwide), because I cannot get any joy from the Nationwide (customer confidentiality etc).
    But the money must be somewhere, yet I'm not allowed to find out where. So it could stay missing forever???

Any help/ advice/ contacts greatly appreciated.

clubber
    Free Member
    Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks

clubber
    Free Member

It's not really reasonable for the banks to just say that it's been sent but that it's not arrived – Reckon the ombuds may be enough threat to get things moving. Also worth going into your branch and asking to speak to the manager in person as that also tends to get things going.

clubber
    Free Member

100!

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

He's lieing. Three trusted sources have confirmed the movmement of the money. You, RBS and Nationwide.

He's the weakest link here, the money will be in his account. He probably doesn't have the lens. And probably went on holiday and spent your money.

Press ahead with the police. They have powers to track things like this in cases of suspected fraud. So even if Nationwide won't tell you, they will talk to the police.

Daffy

Denis,

tell him you're coming up that way next week, and ask him if he wouldn't mind accompanying you to his bank in order to get this mess sorted out and collect your lens.

If he agrees, I don't mind either going in your place or going with you.
    I'm not a big guy, but I've got a few friends I could take with me. I'm only in Leeds.

M

MrGrim

Also check the sortcode/acc number used for the money transfer to Nationwide. When someone transfers money to some of my Nationwide accounts they have to transfer it to a group sortcode and account number with the actual account number as the transaction reference. Nationwide then have to transfer the funds to the specific account. Just wondering if he has given you his specific account details and Nationwide have not correctly handled the transfer.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Time for bombers and a tin of black gloss paint.
    Oh and trip to preston, im sorry but the guy knows your concerned and does nothing. BS.

will
    Free Member

Just read the whole thread mate. Really hope it works out, as others have said.

scotia
    Free Member

i would be down there by now..why havent you been to visit him? I know its a trip but worth it no?

alexxx
    Free Member

very dodge! id be going to preston taking him to his local branch and getting him to print off a monthly statement showing all transactions, if it clearly isnt there he has nothing to hide. if it is there, get out the razor blades!

Denis99
    Free Member

I've just spoke to the police who will be visiting him and investigating his (and my) bank account transactions.

They have advised me to inform him that the police will be visiting him and have the power to look into his bank account(s).

I have tried to speak to the chap, but he won't answer the phone to me, or ring me back – this has been going on for well over a fortnight.

The police have advised not to bother with him anymore and concentrate on the police and bank investigations.

Thanks for the offers of help, but I'm going to put my trust in the official channels – I'll keep you all posted , thanks for your comments etc.

singletrackmind

Good Luck with getting your money back .
    Let us know how it all turns out .
    I think you are brave putting your trust in the official channels, when there are a few guys on here who are local who could knock on his door pretending to be you .

smurf
    Free Member

I've been reading this with interest as I've bought many things online over the years, including (I think) the same lens!

Got my fingers crossed for you and looking forward to hearing the outcome

smurf

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Financial Ombudsman isn't really an option for you – yet. You have to raise an official complaint with your bank and let them process it and answer it, which they have 8 weeks in which to do so, before you can refer to the FOS. The FOS are overwhelmed at the mo and will take at least 6 months to deal with your complaint.

Stick with the police angle and good luck!

Denis99
    Free Member

Yep, rang the Financial Ombudsman dept who told me how the system works.

I've found someone in my bank who is helping with this (at last), letter sent to the Nationwide awaiting a response on a trace for the funds.

Police due to make a visit to the other chap today / tomorrow and get access to his bank account details.
    Once the police can confirm euither way I can take action to recover the funds.

1. He has received the money and he will be arrested etc
    2. Money "lost" in the banking system, and funds will eventually be returned to me.

Option 1 doesn't mean I'll see my money.

Option 2 does.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Denis, you should see your money, the police now cam enforce repayment, but only for "small" sums of money. I know this because the police were going to do this with my sister and the £15k she stole, but it was too much money.

user-removed
    Free Member

What a stinking situation to end up in – really sorry you've gone through this (beeen lurking and reading updates since the start). Was thinking a lot about your predicament as I have just bought a D300 body off a guy over at ephotozine – he's a long time member (as am I) but I'd never had any dealings with him before, either in the forums or in real life.

This thread was foremost in my mind as I paid £700 into the bank a/c of a guy I'd never met / knew very little about. My transaction went like clockwork but was scary nonetheless.

Sounds like the guys at the bank are finally sitting up now the police are involved – best of luck and keep us up to speed…

TheFlyingOx

I suppose the one thing I've learnt from this is that I will never conduct another transaction for less than say £20 online ever again.

I don't call that a 'lesson learnt'.

TheFlyingOx

Jokes!

Srsly, hope you get your cash back cos it sounds to me like this lens never existed.

Denis99
    Free Member

Further to the saga, and drifting a little off the main issue (ish).

I rang the RBS on Tuesday evening to ask if someone in a senior position within RBS could enter into some dialogue with the Nationwide to investigate where the funds are. (Nationwide won't talk to me).

RBS said that they would log this issue as a special concern and get back to me within 48 hours….

Thursday evening came, and no one from RBS phoned me………

Rang RBS last night to explain the story again…….

Basically they said that there is nothing that they will do for me, I made the request for the £975 to be transferred, and they have done that.

So, the only way to resolve this is the police (even if the funds haven't been transferred to the Nationwide).

It appears that if the transaction goes wrong between two banks then the issuing bank (RBS) says that they've done what I asked them.

Receiving bank (Nationwide) say – funds not in the account – we won't talk to you.

~~

Needless to say the police will be investigating, and if this turns out to be a bank error I'll be informing the press about the service from my bank.
    I've had a bank account with them for over 25 years.

Will be changing from RBS after this is sorted out – one way or another – appalling customer service.

Just beware of the consequences of using online direct money transfer in future.

~~

The other chap in this still hasn't done anything, and won't answer phones calls.

Thankfully, the police will get around to sorting this out – but it still looks another week away.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Arse. I will only do a bank transfer to those that use the fast pay service, or instant transfer.
    I pay suppliers and get paid by customers all the time via transfer and have never yet had an issue, but only do it with the instant banks.
    I've heard nothing but trouble stories from the other banks

Denis99
    Free Member

Forgot mention.

There's a hidden factor in all of this, as its been going on for over a month now.

I have become very preoccupied with this, telephone calls to police, banks etc. Checking emails to see if the other chap has responded (even with something remotely useful).

Hasn't done me a lot of good, sleep is distrupted and I'm very short tempered (not normally), and generally feel ill and worn out with it.

Its like waiting in the dentist waiting room.

I'd rather know the true story.

Bank error – ok, get money back.

Fraud – ok, police case and maybe get money back.

I've as good as written off the money , as I'm completely worn out and fed up with the whole saga.

Good to know the banks are a responsible lot (not). Sure the press will be interested, as (if its a bank error), then this could happen to anyone again. But they're just saying its not their responsibility, and I'm powerless to do anything as an individual.

scaredypants

Receiving bank (Nationwide) say – funds not in the account – we won't talk to you

Must admit if Nationwide says that, then if I was the seller and the money wasn't there I'm not sure I'd talk to you either (what could he do ?)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Advice please – looks like I've been scammed’ is closed to new replies.