Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Advice please – Howgills 'The Calf'
  • Orangejohn
    Free Member

Last year we did the classic loop and remember pushing/ carrying for about 45 mins or more – we went to Howgill and then up.
    A friend reckoned he did a similar ride with virtually no pushing or carrying.
    Is this possible?
    He isn’t super human so assume he must have gone a different way to the top.

Which is the best bridleway up?

Thanks in advance.
    John

ton

go up from sedbergh via lockbank farm.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think we went up from Howgill a few years ago, we’d done ‘The Other Borrowdale’ route that was in a mag. My mate rode it all but he’s 1/2 mountain goat.

boxelder

It’s been a while, but I recall this one’s rideable – dry conditions, tail wind etc
    this one

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Wot Ton says, it should be in good condition at the moment unless it rains heavily this weekend,its probably one of the best climbs i have ever ridden, i prefer it may-july before the bracken gets high,you do need dry conditions to appreciate the route though.enjoy

martinhutch

The one over to the north of Winder is tough, but rideable. There’s a short loose steep bit, but even that is clearable by a decent climber.

pennine
    Free Member

You mean Calders Martin?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/6J88n1]Racing shadows on Calder[/url] by Pennine /url], on Flickr
    And the loose bit
    [img]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2476/3757671605_4bd67a96da.jpg[/img][url=https://flic.kr/p/6J43Rt]Top of steep push[/url] by Pennine, on Flickr

vickypea
    Free Member

We did the loop starting in Sedbergh last winter in very wild and wet conditions. Howling wind on the tops and a quagmire to go through at the far end, but still an awesome day out. I’d love to go back and re-ride now it’s drier.

jsync

Is this the mag route?

loopy loop

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That wasn’t the one we did jsync, I think we started from Orton & went over the other side of the M6. It was a big day out!

boxelder

It‘s the standard/classic, yes.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Thanks for your help.

From Sedbergh we did the fourth BW on the right.
    It seems the consensus is either 1st or 2nd BW.
    On the map the 3rd BW looks hellishly steep.

So I’ve narrowed it down to either Lockbank Farm (1st) or Height of Winder (2nd) [as per Streetmap link above].

Thanks again.

dunmail
    Free Member

The first bridleway (through the farm) is probably the easiest. The legal line of the BW goes straight up the slope for the first 200m or so but it’s better to follow the wall to the left and then cut back right on the obvious track. It’s then a steady if long grind to the col between Winder and Arant Haw.

The second bridleway heads up a rough track from the high point of the road before breaking out on to the fell. The initial track getting to the fell gate is the hardest part as it’s slightly loose and what isn’t loose is large stones sticking out of the ground. The track is then technically easy but has some steep bits that if it’s at all damp will have you spinning, I think I walked about 50 metres in total. The line on the map cuts to the west of Winder but on the ground the track goes to the summit. You’ve then a grassy blast down to the col.

The other two are better as descents.

The last bit of the climb up to Calders (as shown in the shots above) is the only bit I need to walk. It’s a bit loose for my skill level when climbing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advice please – Howgills 'The Calf'’ is closed to new replies.