• This topic has 66 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Advice please (from the girls preferably) – Buying lingerie for the other half
  • Mac
    Free Member

Hi,

My girlfriend returns after a couple of months away and I’d like to buy something nice to surprise her, something tasteful like below.

The issue I’m having is I don’t know which brands are good quality or good value for money as I’d like it to be made of silk but under £100.

Would the girls here (or if you’ve been particular successful ((or daring with your shopping)) the guys as well) please give me some suggestions about which brands/sites are worth checking out?

Thanks!

P.s. And yes I’m sure this thread will fail after about three replies and descend into a puddle of smutt but if you have any real suggestions then please let me know!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Make sure you try Rigby & Peller. Classy, quality stuff. Ditto Agent Provocateur (But likely to be more expensive!)

If you’re in striking distance of That London, Harrods do a very good line of own brand stuff like that.

HTH!

PS – Am not a girl. Just seem to find myself buying rather a lot of very nice lingerie* for someone….! 🙂

*Lingerie – French for “Phwooooooaaar!”

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmm, personally I wouldn’t. It might make your girlfriend feel a bit cheap.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Shackleton

No idea if this applies but having had similar conversations in the past with (female) friends the general consensus is only buy lingerie if you KNOW without doubt that it is the kind of thing she would wear if she was prepared to spend that much money.

Otherwise it is too easily taken as “I’d like to look at you wearing this and then look at you not wearing this”, especially given that you have been apart for a bit (even if that isn’t the intention).

Is there anything special that she likes that she hasn’t been able to get whilst away (obvious smut aside)? I’m currently halfway through a 3 month stint away from the other half and find that the things I miss aren’t all what I expected.

qwerty
    Free Member

Try it on first, you know you want to 😀

nicko74

Advice please (from the girls preferably)

Nah, you don’t want to do it like that, you want advice from all the grumbly men on the forum!

Start with something like figleaves – it carries many of the major brands, and gives you chance to, ah, ‘research’ before exploring further. Particularly helpful if your OH is a relatively unusual size/ shape – as some places do a fairly limited range of cup/ size combinations.

Mac
    Free Member

I was right. 3.5 reasonable threads later and we’re already mentioning rapists!

Thanks for all the replies soo far. I’m trying to do something nice for her (although I don’t think any guy buys underwear for their other half without at some point thinking they’d like to see her wear it/take it off – how is that possible!) however I don’t want her to feel cheap.

Just had a look at figleaves – some nice stuff on there, thanks for the suggestion.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

however I don’t want her to feel cheap.

I’ll say it again;
    Rigby and Peller. Class.

emsz
    Free Member

Ok there are rules.

Lingerie MUST be eye wateringly expensive. really, don’t DON’T really don’t buy cheap underwear. otherwise you’re just saying, not only do I want you to look a ‘bit’ slutty I want you to be a cheap slut as well.

OK?

Colours: Black or white, pastel at a push NEVER red (unless she’s asked for red.)

Look at the sort of thing she wears now, and go for that sort of style, if there are no thongs in her knicker drawer, she probably won’t want to wear it.

Think honestly about what shape she is, Balconette bras are pointless on me, I’m a 30aa, but I can wear pretty little camisoles, likewise french knickers are a bit more flattering if she’s…errrm…. built for comfort rather than speed, if you know what I mean… 😳 if she’s got a boyish figure then thongs and bodies look cute.

all the better names are still cool. La Perla, Stella Macartney (lovely) Victoria secret (dull but good fitting), Love Honey (trashy but fun + free vibro atm) Boux Avenue (3 for 2 atm)

NOT m&S not Calvin NOT tesco LOL

Have fun!!

Mac
    Free Member

Thanks esmsz – thats exactly the type of advice I was looking for! The image above is Calvin and I thought it was nice – is it poor quality or do girls just perceive it as being crap?

P.s. its all eye wateringly expensive as far as I can see!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Seriously this thread is USELESS WITHOUT PICS…

wrecker
    Free Member

Pah, what could emsz know? 😀

The key word here is SMALL. The less material the better no matter what build she is or what she likes.
    Let’s not mess around, she may be wearing it but it’s actually for your benefit.

boblo
    Free Member

For class you obviously need red+peekaboo+see thru… eerrrrm obviously (blurgh)…

Victoria’s Secret was where I last spent money in Mrs Boblo’s knickerdrawer.

<edit> Calvin as in Calvin and Hobbes…?

emsz
    Free Member

Clavin as in Klein….

Mac, expensive is different for everyone, flashy’s expensive is gonna bit different to student expensive, y’know!!

wrecker, enhance rather than reveal… 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

JUST DON’T PANIC!

[video]http://youtu.be/beN7FftWNCM[/video]

Mac
    Free Member

Ha!

I want to check out Rigby and Peller after CaptainFlashheart’s recommendation however I’m currently hurtling to London on a train and may get some strange looks if I bring up page after page of underwear on the screen!

Mhm I’m not quite student level but more fighting for my first job in the big city level. She’s certainly worth the money.

wrecker
    Free Member

wrecker, enhance rather than reveal…

NO NO NO.
    Just hide (and I mean just) the pink bits 😀

boblo
    Free Member

Hurtling+train? Does not compute…

More like crawling along+broke 🙂

nbt

Rigby and Peller

By Appointment to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

They do nice stuff too, I used to work round the corner from one of their shops. You don’t get in without an appointment, I believe

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

She’s certainly worth the money.

You lucky chap!

As emsz points out, and I have alluded to, never, ever buy cheap lingerie. EVER. OK?

If she’s worth it, she’s worth it. And you, sir, are a lucky chap!

You don’t get in without an appointment, I believe

Bra fittings need an appointment, not the shop. The private boudoir changing room at AP in Chelsea is by invitation only, though. 8)

freeagent
    Free Member

Rigby and Peller supply the Queens undies, so if they can be trusted to support her Maj’s rack they must be a good place to start ;o)

only other bit of advice is stick to black/white..

boblo
    Free Member

freeagent – Member

Only other bit of advice is stick to black/white..

What, friesian style 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

wrecker, that’s such a ‘bloke’ thing to say!! 😆

Mac
    Free Member

OK OK I get it! 😉

Thanks guys for all the advice, appreciate it.

boblo
    Free Member

last thing, photos for the ‘team’ by way of reward for the advice…

ebygomm
    Free Member

The only expensive-ish underwear I want to receive is icebreaker or embers merino or similar, anything else I would consider a waste of money

HTH 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ebygomm, I received a rather nice pair of Icebreaker Beast! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR smalls at Christmas. Jolly comfy they are too.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

See I love Calvin Klein underwear.

stratobiker
    Free Member

@Mac – I used to buy Mrs Stratobiker lots of lingerie when I had the money. So assuming that this purchase won’t be a one off, I’d say, find a shop that sells ‘nice’ lingerie, get to know the staff. They’ll help you choose if you explain what you are after, and maybe make suggestions that you hadn’t thought of.

I found, that like jeans for blokes. Some brands fit a shape better than others. Get to know the brands that fit your girl well.

Have fun.

SB

emsz
    Free Member

munque, me too, just a bit ‘everyday’?

Mac
    Free Member

Thank everyone for all the advice. At the minute I’m thinking of getting this so girls if this is horrendous then please let me know.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have bought Calvin Klein underwear in the past for a GF and it is not very good quality but is bloody expensive,avoid

Sandwich

Rigby and Peller. Class.

Mrs S didn’t like the R&P I bought her back in the day. Far too uncomfortable and scratchy bra, it was the right size.

Currently Freya stuff does the job, especially if she has a larger cup size (thinking D or above here).

Mrs S regards white lingerie as work day stuff, colours for the weekend and holidays

hammyuk
    Free Member

Emsz- I’m liking your taste – French knickers are SOOOOO much sexier……

Now I think you should prove it ….. 😀

tron
    Free Member

Is your girlfriend a nun? Mine would think I, was going off her if I bought her the burka in the picture at the top of the thread…

cinnamon_girl

Hmmm, dare I suggest a rethink? As wonderful as good quality lingerie is, perhaps you may be exerting a wee bit of pressure if you follow my drift?

I would perhaps consider some gorgeous and expensive fresh flowers, tastefully arranged obviously, or perhaps some perfume.

You could then suggest a shopping trip to a swanky city then both of you could, er, have some input. 😉

nicko74

The key word here is SMALL. The less material the better no matter what build she is

Not true. Thongs on some women can look like a cheese string (as in the string you use to cut cheese with).

Rigby and Peller

By Appointment to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
    So being turned on by it is not only disturbing, it’s also treason?

Anna-B
    Free Member

My advice is to follow CGs advice above….. turn it into a trip and go somewhere together to buy. It’s such personal taste/fit that it needs trying on by her first….. Any bigger than a D go to Bravissimo, best fittings ever and nice stuff. That nighty thing in your photo is weird…. encourage her to try on a basque if you go shopping together (and if she doesn’t have one already) they feel incredibly sexy to wear, high feel good/look good factor.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I assume you know her size?

My girlfriend returns after a couple of months away

Let’s hope she’s not been eating lots/starving while she was away. She could be a completely different shape.

Seriously, do you know the brands she wears? That may be a good place to start.

Simple colours. Classy not slutty. Oh and don’t tell her you got advice from a bunch of middle aged men on the internet.

MrSmith
    Free Member

+ free vibro atm

😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Advice please (from the girls preferably) – Buying lingerie for the other half’ is closed to new replies.