Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Advice please from experienced ebay sellers re sending out item sold on ebay .
  • kaiser
    Free Member

never sold on ebay before and will soon be needing to send out parcels.
    Obviously I’m aware that without a signature for receipt being requested a buyer can claim not received and request a refund. Looking at ebay/paypal it seems that they say one must use a “trackable” service that can be accessed online to be able to counteract these problems .. To me a trackable service means more than a signature . can anyone clear this up and advise how to balance potential fraudster activity against the extra costs of the various “trackable” options available.
    all tips/advice etc would be much appreciated
    thanks
    Bill

wwaswas

You just need proof of delivery not tracking whilst in transit.

Stiggy

I always send ‘signed for’.

firestarter
    Free Member

But unless its tracked paypal ebay and royal mail couldn’t give a monkeys if its lost you will get the money back from royal mail in the end if correctly insured but it takes ages, if its worth anything its worth sending tracked imo

amplebrew

If its of low value I always send using recorded delivery

If it’s high value I always send special delivery

Depending on the size of the package, you might need to use a parcel service.

Once I’ve sent the package, I then photograph the postage receipt and e-mail it to the buyer.

I’ve never had any issues and everything I’ve sent to the UK tends to arrive the very next day even though I live in the Isle Of Man.

neninja
    Free Member

Anything of value use RM Special Delivery or a courier service from somewhere like Interparcel, Gwizzcouriers, Parcel2go etc. That way you have full tracking.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

You can buy postage through ebay and have stuff collected, then its all automatically sorted out for you.

For smaller stuff, just do the above but use first class & packet options, then get proof of posting at post office.

dribbling
    Free Member

For smaller stuff, just do the above but use first class & packet options, then get proof of posting at post office

I’m not an expert, but I though PoP meant nothing in eyes of eBay?

jota180
    Free Member

DO NOT – under any circumstances sending anything to anywhere but their registered address.

You may want to chance it if they ask you to send it to work [or similar] if it’s only a few quid but certainly nothing with any value

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m not an expert, but I though PoP meant nothing in eyes of eBay?

It doesn’t so you’d have to refund the paypal payment. Though it is acceptable for the Royal Mail and you claim back off them for the amount – typically they might ask for the eBay action details as proof of value.

Kaiser- the scams start when the scammer buys something off you (say a nice Hope wheel). He/she complains that it’s knackered (insert any excuse here) so they send it back (tracked). You sign for the box and find a brick inside – eBay see the tracked delivery back to you, not the content so you end up being obliged to refund (well, eBay take it off you..).

Scams where people say they haven’t got something when they have – either send tracked, or wait the three weeks (or whatever RM stipulate) before claiming back off the Post Office.

Proof of postage is free. But will only cover you up to 10 times (I think) value of stamp (so probably £60 these days is it?).

globalti
    Free Member

….and couriers like TNT will only cover you under RHA rates, which is £15 per kilo weight, making a bike worth about £195 in their book.

Taff
    Free Member

You sell a parcel as first class or signed for etc. You can give the buyer several options. If they go for 1st or 2nd class then they will be taking the risk. You just need proof of purchase. I’ve had someone try ir on with a signed for parcel before so nothing is safe.

jota180
    Free Member

If they go for 1st or 2nd class then they will be taking the risk.

eBay will still side with the buyer regardless of what choices you give them.
    Your contract with the buyer is to deliver it to them, it isn’t fulfilled as soon as you get to the end of the queue in the PO

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Pretend (whilst being polite and professional) that every ebayer you deal with is a well versed thief trying to steal money or goods from you until the transaction is complete. You’ll never lose out to someone who tries it on with that degree of paranoia.

mark_b
    Free Member

eBay will still side with the buyer regardless of what choices you give them.
    Your contract with the buyer is to deliver it to them, it isn’t fulfilled as soon as you get to the end of the queue in the PO

Funnily enough my ebay experience contradicts this – because i could prove the parcel had been signed for – albeit not by the intended recipients – ebay ruled in my favour when a buyer disputed delivery.

Seems even ebay accept that sellers have no control over what RM does.

atlaz
    Free Member

As above. Recorded for low value, special for high value. Only had one bad experience and that resolved itself after the person asked around in their shared house and found it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences but an item can be signed for by someone else and a buyer then claims.

If you don’t send recorded, i.e. std post, you can claim in any event (up to £50).

I don’t bother with recorded unless it’s needed for insurance.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Advice please from experienced ebay sellers re sending out item sold on ebay .’ is closed to new replies.