Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice please, Coast and Castles
  • sweez
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’d be grateful if you could please recommend some B&Bs along the Coast and castles route?
    http://www.coast-and-castles.co.uk/

Any other tips would also be welcome 😀

Thank you

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

I’m presuming you’re doing Coast and Castles South or are you doing the whole thing to Aberdeen? Just the Newcastle to Edinburgh route? That’s the best direction to do it in IMHO.

We did it in 3 days this spring to avoid the Royal Wedding and stayed nights at Bamburgh (stayed at Sunningdale – beds too soft but good brekkie, bikes locked in outbuilding) and Melrose (Station Hotel- central, reasonably friendly, bikes locked in a breakfast room after our arrival until next morning).

As far as the route-finding went. Only 2 sections caused us any problems. Entry into Blyth – presumably because of stolen / turned signs. And exit from Berwick, missed Right turn about a mile out of town.

Our day 2 was “hardest” but good rolling countryside. Our group was a mix of roadies, hybrid, 26 and 29ers. Only the roadies struggled with route and had to skip coastal parts on days 1 and 2 (some of the best scenery and most interesting trails).

The hills after Innerleithen on way over to Edinburgh weren’t as bad as feared and were “neutralised” by a good feed at the Whistle Stop Cafe beforehand in Innerleithen. Another good cafe on the route was in Kelso (not sure of the name but just south of the main square ?called horse market) and when staying in Melrose we walked over the chain bridge to Gattonside for a slap up meal at Chapters Restaurant (excellent but expensive).

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I did it the wrong way around. Edinburghh to Newcastle and pretty much constant headwind 🙂 avoid that. Secondly the pubs around the mid bit often stop serving food after 2-3 on the Sunday which meant we didn’t have proper food that day (late arrival). So check where you can lunch at the planning stage.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    swedishmatt
    Free Member

Mikedoublebleu: the hills were horrible 🙂

StuE
    Free Member

My other half and her friend rode it in May will get her to post her thoughts

Cooroo
    Free Member

StuE’s OH here.

I rode the southern leg earlier this summer. Escaping the royal wedding, as it happens. We had a night at Rosedene in Dunstan – very friendly, if anything too anxious to please! Sweet couple, he picked us up from pub at Craster as it was quite a walk in the dark.

Second night at Kelso, slap bang in the middle but I can’t remember the name…. Bike parking turned out to be a covered area in the open, where you could lock your bike. We ended up sneaking ours up to our rooms as it just didn’t look very secure. Quite the opposite of Dunstan – no one showed any interest in us, which was useful for bike sneakers.

I rode it all on my road bike – including the coastal sections! It was a bit surprising but the bike seemed to take it in its stride. The weather had been very dry, otherwise I might have been in bother.

Some long climbs, but always worth it in beautiful scenery. The climb from Innerleithen goes on forever, but the hills are so amazing it somehow seemed easy. I’m used to Yorkshire Dales hills and nothing was as steep as that.

Look out for the lovely little suspension bridge (well, it would be hard to miss) somewhere or other. Forget where but it would be a shame to know in advance as it’s such a nice surprise.

A lovely ride in a part of the country I hadn’t visited before. Recommended. Worst bit, unfortunately, is getting through the outskirts of Edinburgh. Picturesque it ain’t.

sweez
    Free Member

Thanks for the information, I’m on a Tricross so I should be OK. We’re planning doing the south part, but doing it Edinburgh to Newcastle as some of us live in Newcastle, after reading your thoughts we may rethink that.
    Any other hints and tips will be most welcome

sweez
    Free Member

StuE I look forward to hearing from your other half

Kahurangi

*tick*

Also going to be doing the S&C route at some point, also Newcastle to Endinburgh. I’m only really at the stage of collecting information so all this is useful, thanks.

Any advice re camping vs. B&Bing? I hadn’t realised that some of the trails might be tricky so maybe it’s best not to attemp with panniers?

StuE
    Free Member

Other half is Cooroo is post above

gazc
    Free Member

Jon Taylor – me and my girlfriend did southern bit a few years ago edinburgh to newcastle. we live in newcastle so took the train up for a day/eve at the festival and rode home. we camped and took panniers, no problem with panniers as although some off road sections its not technical or that narrow. campsites in melrose (caravan club next to rugby ground in centre) and seahouses (bit north of the village although nowhere near as nice as melrose!). plenty of opportunities for shops or pubs/cafes for food on route too

midlifecrashes

Any excuse to post this again, I think it’s someone from the forum who made it. Genius.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIEbI9fiwPM[/video]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice please, Coast and Castles’ is closed to new replies.