Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Advice Please: Broken Glass Galaxy S4
  • boblo
    Free Member

Any advice, experiences or anecdotes please on glass replacement for an S4? I’ve got a new glass from evilbay but watching the vids it looks like I need a spaceshuttle load of tools to avoid destroying the dingwa in the process of repair.

What did you do and how did it end up?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Did you just get a digitizer or digitizer and display? When you smash the digitizer and it is replaced professionally they replace both as they are bonded together. If separate you may not achieve the same display clarity.

boblo
    Free Member

Just the glass.

diggerb
    Free Member

Replaced mine myself
    Bought the kit from Amazon
    Start in one corner. Heat the glass using the mrs’s hairdryer.
    It starts to come away. You can see the glue changing colour
    Gently prise a blade / small screwdriver under the corner and lift the corner then move around the screen
    Patience is the key. Heat / lever / heat / lever.
    I used a very thin wire (included in my kit) under the screen whist applying heat and slowly prised it away from the body. Used small card pieces to hold the glass from the body as I worked my way around.
    Careful at the bottom as the “Home, return, menu” button is actually stuck on the rear of the screen.
    When old glass is off. Remove the original glue, carefully from the digitiser screen. I just used my thumb, then cleaned the digitizer screen with methylated spirit.
    Apply the supplied double sided tape to the replacement screen and press onto the body of the phone. I warmed the edges then pressed it face down ito a towel to ensure it was stuck
    Works perfectly – 6 months now, no issues

Can’t stress enough. Take your time

boblo
    Free Member

Thanks diggerb. Does it look and work exactly as it did before? I’ve got the kit you refer to, just not convinced is going to give me what I’m looking for.

diggerb
    Free Member

Yes, It works perfectly
    You’d never know that i’d changed the screen

scrumfled
    Free Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT go anywhere the guys at sumsungphonerepairs.co.uk. I made that mistake, the website came across as very professional, their ‘process’ seemed robust etc.

The reality was a whole world different, to the extent that I wasted a month sending gradually sterner emails in an attempt just to get a phone back.

If you’re doing it yourself, take it slow… use a spudger and borrow a hair dryer to warm up the old glue.

freddyg
    Free Member

I’ve just finished doing this very job.

Take your time, get the screen nice and warm and it’s pretty straight forward.

Oh, and take your time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Advice Please: Broken Glass Galaxy S4’ is closed to new replies.