• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by yunki.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • advice on womens tri suit
  • turneround

My wife wants a wetsuit for swimming, she’s not looking to compete but wants something that she can use to swim around the inlets up here in the north of scotland. Any suggestions gratefully received 🙂

weeksy
    weeksy

oh… not that kind of wetsuit ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MaryHinge
    Free Member

I have a blue seventy sprint wetsuit. Used for tris and lake and sea swimming.

Works great for me.

Fit is everything though, so best to try a few on.

Any tri shops near you?

turneround

unfortunately i live 15miles north of inverness so nope, no tri shops nearby 🙁

Have more lovehoney gear that we know what to do with, damn those free gift offers!!

hammerite
    Free Member

Also look at Orca and Huub. There are probably plenty of others but it’s a few years since I did a tri so no idea what is popular.

I’ve no idea but there might be more swim specific wetsuits as opposed to tri wetsuits. One of the things a triathlete needs to consider is getting the thing off quickly, less important if just using for swimming.

hammyuk
    Free Member

There are women specific ones – think about the “shape” of a laaaaadyyyy :mrgreen:
    In all seriousness though – go somewhere she can try them on or use Wiggle with free returns, etc.
    BlueSeventy seem to be a favourite of the females I know who do Tri.
    Although one of them uses a “male” suit but she’s also a seriously good climber with amazing shoulders and very slim hips.

twisty

Just to make sure there is no mis-communication anywhere. A tri suit is the thing Triatheletes wear under the wetsuit and then do the cycle and run in.

The wetsuit is the same as any other swimming wetsuit, apart from there may be different regulations on the maximum thickness of the neoprene etc.

Fit is very important for wetsuits, worth looking up places that hire out wetsuits they usually let you try before you buy.

blitz

I’d really recommend she has a look at this wiggle exclusive from Huub

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/huub-aira-wiggle-exclusive-womens-wetsuit/

I’ve got the men’s version and it’s brilliant for the money.

convert

Firstly I’d follow up what has already been said about fit is king. A good fitting suit will probably feel a lot tighter than she is expecting if she has not had one before – you really don’t want pockets for water (usual is small of the back). Flexibility is also so important especially in the shoulders. Putting one on properly is not actually that obvious either. It might be best to go somewhere if possible for the first one.

My wife and I have relatively new cheaper suits after years of much higher quality (BS helix). Mine was cheapish (circa £160) and my wife’s v cheap (circa £100). We got them because we are currently slightly too ‘comfortably built’ for our old suits! Got to say they are crap, especially my wife’s blue seventy sprint. If that was your only experience of a swimming wetsuit you might not know any better but so inflexible and the the reduction in the number of panels means it would never fit particularly well. My wife also struggles with too much buoyancy in the legs in cheaper ‘beginner’ suits trashing her stroke. But they do a job for two folk that don’t race anymore…..

Or do they!?! Just back from your neck of the woods and swam at least twice a day without a suit – skins for the win! Our suits tend to travel with us but don’t get used. Swimming mostly in fresh water lochs lat week in 9-10.5 deg water (colder than the sea) and it’s fine. Once you manage the first 6 minutes it’s all good. Even my 70 year old mother was swimming with us skins (out of choice, she has a wetsuit too) and it’s so much more pleasant. I don’t want to go all new age hippy but there is a connection with your surroundings swimming skins you don’t get suited up. 4 of us did a new moon moonlit swim to the middle of the loch being buzzed by bats which was epic. Add a pair of neoprene gloves, socks and hat for when it’s a bit nippier to prolong the experience. I tend not to be in for more than 45-60 mins at that temperature and a suit would extend that but unless specifically training I’d rather manage without these days.

MrPottatoHead

What time of year is she going to be swimming, and have you any idea about the water temperatures there? If its cold then neoprene cap/gloves/booties might be useful. If water temperatures are about 20 degrees then maybe just a sleeveless one as you can still get pretty hot swimming.

yunki
    Free Member

Don’t wear it on the beach in France would be my advice

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘advice on womens tri suit’ is closed to new replies.