Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Advice on which group to ride with (intermediate or fast) on a charity ride
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep tighten it mine was skipping beats if it wasn’t tight, had me at 40bpm while blowing from my arse…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Chances of all three groups coming together on the final run in is both remote and stupid.
    I suspect the fast group will be catching both other groups on the road. Probably at about 20-25km for the middle group and shortly after for the slow group (at which point the middle group will probably stop chasing the fast group……) As long as you can hang on until the middle group is caught, you’ll at least have somewhere to drop back to.

And you’ve not got limited group riding skills, you’ve got none.

mrblobby
    Free Member

And you’ve not got limited group riding skills, you’ve got none.

It’s a charity group ride… neither will anyone else in any group!

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah I had given up explaining that 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have you checked with your doctor if any of the drugs you are taking will need a TUE? Just claim to never have injections if anyone asks…..

philjunior
    Free Member

Go in the fast group, sounds like it’s the right pace for you and if my experiences with other big events are anything to go by, there will be plenty of people over-estimating their fitness.

johndoh
    Free Member

Go in the fast group, sounds like it’s the right pace for you and if my experiences with other big events are anything to go by, there will be plenty of people over-estimating their fitness.

Cheers – that is the sort of advice I was wanting 🙂 😉

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s a charity group ride… neither will anyone else in any group!

So “they’ve done this before”, is something of an exaggeration?

And if that is the case, i’d take the fast groups average pace claims with a pinch of salt! And take some body armour.

johndoh
    Free Member

So… That didn’t go quite as planned! Found a crack in the steerer tube (head tube?) on my trusty old Allez on Saturday afternoon and finally managed to source a stand-in bike (which was too big for me).

Anyway, I pressed on with the fast group and then that group split at the halfway point but I managed to stay with the lead group (and took my turn on the front). I really enjoyed it and was very pleased that I didn’t get dropped (it was close in the last 8 miles but I stuck on the wheel and just managed to stay with them).

Great fun 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Advice on which group to ride with (intermediate or fast) on a charity ride’ is closed to new replies.