Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice on web design
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Hi there.

I have a macbook pro and want to design a website and need to know what package is best to use . I also need a programme to design a log that is simple and easy to use .
    Willing to spend up to £50 but don’t want to go crazy. And would love to get programmes for free if they exeist .

Any help appreciated .,

Ta

wwaswas

WordPress plus a paid for theme.

Find a host that manages it all for you.

Mooly
    Free Member

So i have registered the domain name with go daddy so need to crack on and design .

nickjb
    Free Member

Another vote for WordPress. You can do quite a lot with a free template. You can play with the design a lot while keeping the same content.

leffeboy

It’s worth spending a bit of money on a book on WordPress if u haven’t used it before. Yes all of the info is free online but a well written book is often a quicker way to get to the result you want.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, even as a Drupal developer, I’d recommend WordPress for what you are doing.

Keep backups

Rachel

whitestone
    Free Member

Err Go-Daddy 😯 Yet to hear anything positive about them.

If it’s a site for a business then get the copy checked for spelling and grammar.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yeah, I would have advised someone else, but go-daddy you’ve done now. Just the domain name isn’t so bad, aside from support, and I don’t know what they’re like for transferring these days. If they’re down as admin contact they could hold it to ransom on transferring out. But anyway, that’s for later.

If you’re using them for the hosting also, hmm.

WordPress itself you can host via WordPress.com, and I believe use the domain name with it.

There are other options than WordPress, which I find a bit clunky, techy and dated for a modern responsive web site.

Really depends what you want from the web site.

There are online drag & drop site builders from the likes of Weebly and WiX.

leffeboy

Just for another view I’ve had WordPress sites on Godaddy before and they are just fine, I wouldn’t be concerned at all. Their support has been great as well although it does help that I usually know what I’m doing so we talk the same language. My sites are all Drupal now and I wouldn’t recommend that

allthegear
    Free Member

Drupal isn’t a tool for small, simple websites. Even more so now. I’m happy with that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice on web design’ is closed to new replies.