Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Advice On Upgrades.
  • CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

I have a GT Avalanche 2.0 2005 (Click me for spec). I've had it for over three years now but recently have started riding more and more.

I can't really afford a new bike right now so I'm thinking about upgrading for the time being.

I know nothing about bikes mechanically, but what I do know is that my gears slip and aren't smooth when changing. This is probably down to wear and tear and poor maintenance Also my brakes aren't responsive enough for my liking, I think this is just the pads which I will change.

Can someone give me a rough idea what I need to spend to replace the cassette and derailleurs that would suit my bike?

Thanks is advance!

dt5714
    Free Member

Just start by taking it down to your LBS to have it serviced. It will feel improved from a good fettle and the cables changed (as they stretch). Merlin Cycles are pretty close to you, they are well priced for components….don't know about their labour but have a chat to someone, who can match your needs to your budget.

Here for a guide.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to ring Life Cycles in Bolton to see if I can book it in for a bronze service and take it from there.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Agree with the advice given,a bit of fettling will make a world of difference.

See if you can learn to diy.The Park tools website is s great resource.

In terms of upgrades,a new set of tyres can drop a load of weight and add grip/speed depending on how much of one you are willing to drop to gain the other,for around £50.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Cheer for the info. Any tyre recommendations?

tinsy
    Free Member

Yeah, check these out you wont find better tyres at the price. I would go for the speedking 2.1's (in fact I did)

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Mountain_Bike_Tyres____60___OFF.html

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

tinsy – Member

Yeah, check these out you wont find better tyres at the price. I would go for the speedking 2.1's (in fact I did)

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Mountain_Bike_Tyres____60___OFF.html

Just checked out the tyres you suggested, will these make a noticeable difference then?

tinsy
    Free Member

I don't really know the tyres on your bike, but would hazard a guess these will be lighter and they are a decent enough all-rounder and cope OK in the wet.

The good bit is the price tag, you could spend £25 a pop and get ones not as good.

Would you notice 100-150g off each end, not sure, maybe, but as for a recommendation for a good tyre on a budget you wont go far wrong with them.

Another cheapish thing to change would be to a decent lock on grip, a spinning grip is awful, and a fresh set of grips always feels nice, and can look nice too, check out Spank grips on ebay they have a nice alloy endcap and nice pattern (odi ruffian style) but half the price of Odi grips.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Advice On Upgrades.’ is closed to new replies.