Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice on tyre choice – MKmII's Vs Panaracer Rampage
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Seen some offers of both tyres coming in at around £45 so anyone tried either/both?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

The Rampage is the best tyre I’ve used (and I’ve had a few!)

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not tried MK’s but the Rampage are a great tyre. Light weight for the size with amazing levels of grip which can make them drag a bit if you need to go by road between trails. Word of warning though I never managed to run them tubeless without constant burping.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not tried the MK2s, but they are very high on my list. I use Rubber Queens on the big bike and love them. The MK looks like a mini RQ, which fills me with confidence!

mikey74
    Free Member

I find the Rampages a bit dodgy when shown even a little bit of moisture – certainly in the loamy, rooty conditions I’ve ridden them in. However, the SC compound ones are supposed to be good, so you could try one of those on the front.

I actually find High Rollers a better all-round option, albeit a little heavier.

I’ve never tried MKs, but I’ve heard nothing but bad reports about them.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The MK mkII is a completely different tyre to the original – much slated – version. I actually found the original to be a good tyre on my local, millstone grit trails but when i went to Whinlatter they scared me to the point of getting off and walking!

The MK’s i’ve seen are the 2.4″ version whilst the Rampages are 2.35″.

I’m looking for something that grips but also rolls well for a tyre meant for a big bike. I’ve tried HR’s and whilst ok on the back they are bloody awful on the front – had one on the front at the Ruthin round of the CRC marathon series and it was simply awful. So bad at steering the bloke behind asked if my bike had a hinge in the middle!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a set of MKing mkII fitted but not ridden them yet. The reviews have all been good so I am looking forward to trying them.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ooh, hurry up then – i want a report!!! 😆

Del

afraid i don’t rate the rampages. i was able to spin them up on a steep road climb, when cool and damp, on the ss. i also holed one through the tread knobble.

BadlyWiredDog

Personally, I thought the Rampage was painfully slow rolling, I’d maybe use one on the front, but not at the back. If you want big tyres, one answer is a 2.5 Minion DHF – smaller than its nominal size – on the front and an Ardent 2.25 out back, which isn’t that much smaller than the 2.5 Minion – grippy front, fastish but still grippy rear unless it’s soft/muddy. Or if you think High Rollers are acceptably fast – I don’t – one of those at the back. Or another Minion works well. No idea about the MKs.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Any other tyre ‘big bike’ tyre offers out there then?

mikey74
    Free Member

With High Rollers, I tend to use a Super Tacky up front and a 60A on the rear, which seems to work well.

I’ve tried a Rubber Queen 2.2 BC on the front but didn’t like it too much.

I’d be interested to hear the outcome of this thread too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice on tyre choice – MKmII's Vs Panaracer Rampage’ is closed to new replies.