Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Advice on two bottom(ish) end cx bikes
  • windyboy
    Free Member

I have a ten year old hybrid that I want to replace, and I’m thinking of a cx bike. At 51 I’m not about to take up competitive cx, but I think it’s an option that will work for me. My cycling is a mix of relatively easy road work, commuting (which means that I need a serious rack), canal towpaths and the Ridgeway.

My budget is pretty modest (£500-600), but I’m hoping that if I shop carefully I’ll get a bargain. At the moment I’m looking at these two. I’d value any views from more experienced folk.

Thanks, Mike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORME-CALVER-CXS-CYCLOCROSS-BIKE-BLACK-WHITE-BLUE-56CM-/191759783066?hash=item2ca5c6149a:g:~80AAOSwwE5WbpNO

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/fuji-tread-1.1-cyclocross-bike-to-suit-5-10-/1154724975

Hoff

Probably no help whatsoever but after a lot of deliberating I’ve just bought a Mango Point AR – If you ride the Ridgeway you might be pretty close to their unit so could try before you buy

lyrikal
    Free Member

For the kind of riding you do check out the giant revolt 1, rutland cycles have last year’s model in your budget.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

For a chunk less than that I recently got a Verenti Substance from Wiggle. Its a lovely thing – very steep learning curve for me to get used to but for the money it seems spot on.

mboy
    Free Member

The Forme Calver is a pretty good bike, got pretty good reviews when it was released a few years ago. Forme has suffered a bit of an image problem of late, but they’re good solid bikes. I’d change the brakes myself (BB5’s are a right faff, swap for something like TRP Spyre’s with twin moving pads for more feel and easier setup), but otherwise just ride it and get the miles in.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Could get yourself a CX Boardman on clearance?

Good spec on team and comp models.

British cycling gets another 10% off.

mcwyc
    Free Member

I was in the same boat prior to this weekend, my options were the forme, boardman cx comp from halfords or a Merida cx 300 from start cycles. I ended up spending a bit more cash to get a slightly different ride.

tmb467
    Free Member

Hijack & blatant sales pitch

I’ve got a 7 month old Giant Revolt 2 – barely used, in small – coming up for sale, that you can have for £400

Was a C2W bike but I’ve now left the job so bike is fully paid up and mine to sell on and I’ve got a new build planned

I’m 5’8″ and it fits me really well – have a look at the size guide

windyboy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, guys. This is a very responsive forum!

I don’t mind the sales pitch, tmb, but I’m just under 6′ so a small isn’t really going to work. Sorry.

And the Giant Revolt 1 at Rutland is interesting. It looks like there are some bargains to be had.

ElShalimo

Look on Orange Bikes website, they’re selling off RX9 base model for £550
    https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/shop/factory/refurb/2015_rx9_large_lava_grey

jb72
    Free Member

Good call on the RX9 … like that.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Just bought one of those RX9’s Bargain… 😳

LoCo
    Free Member

+1 on the Forme nicely put together frames

smell_it
    Free Member

The forme out with tiagra, makes a great value package at the price. Orange looks nicer, but you would be speccing down to sora…..but Orange fan’s aren’t usually that bothered about value.

windyboy
    Free Member

The RX9 doesn’t grab me, so at the moment the choice seems to be:

Fuji: Tiagra + TRP Spyre for £350 used

Forme: Tiagra + BB5 for £560 new

Giant: Tiagra + TRP Spyre for £600

I’ve got no experience of disc brakes, but googling around the Spyre component seems to be better reviewed than the BB5. Shame, because I like the idea of supporting a UK manufacturer. And I like the look of the Forme.

coppice
    Free Member

My money would be on a genesis croix de fer 20. Can pick up last years for £700 so a little over budget but tiagra and spyres with a nice comfy steel frame

windyboy
    Free Member

Lots of good advice. I was on the point of buying the Giant when this came along:

http://www.preownedcycles.co.uk/bikes/listings/jamis-nova-race-2015-58cm-675-o-n-o-Ob0K9ufu

It was close enough for me to go and try it and it fitted like a glove. It’s now in the shed waiting for a bit of better weather.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Advice on two bottom(ish) end cx bikes’ is closed to new replies.