Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Advice on trousers for the taller/lanky rider……
  • clunker

I have ridden with baggies with lycra tights underneath for many years during the winter, but recently fancied a change and purchased some Endura Singletrack trousers but found them rather short for my lanky legs (35”) anyone know of any suitable?

rootes1

i have 36″ inside leg

stick with shorts and/or tights

and when it gets proper cold I use some over knee brigdale woolly hiking socks

why change? lights and socks etc much better than flappy trousers

clunker

The only reason being I was ordering some new tights but fancied a change and had the Endura trousers, looks like I will stick with what currently works best 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

My legs are a fair bit longer than yours and i just bought some waterproof overtrousers from Decathlon for £25 and they are the longest ones i’ve ever found. I have some Altura ones somewhere as well i think which are ‘sort of’ long enough for me but would probably be fine for your legs. Can’t remember the exact model though.

Decathlon ones were XXl but thankfully that didn’t mean they were designed for 40″+ waists and fit me pretty well.

Having said that, unless the weather is really bad i tend just to wear 3/4 bib tights in the winter underneath waterproof 3/4 shorts.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m skinny, and have 36″ legs, the Large singletrack troozers fit me fine.

?

clunker

😕 I too am a large and mine are half mast.

Lummox

xxl endura venturi 2 trousers fit me well in the leg, little loose on the waist, but i need the width in the thigh.

6’4″ with 34-5″ leg

giantonagiant

Hello fellow tall chaps.
    Please excuse the slight thread hijacking, but…. Given you’re all tall (6ft 7 here), I assume you’re all big footed and handed.
    I’ve not found it easy getting size 13 spd shoes, but spesh seem, after a couple of pairs to be best. Any tips on decent shops for stocking bigger sizes, or brands for the future?
    Gloves are a nightmare, even xxl come up tight. Any tips there?
    Thanks and sorry again for hijack.
    FWIW, I’ve found polaris bibs longest in body and leg and i have an xl pair of endura waterproof trousers that are ‘just’ long enough, with the extra, inch or so long, flap unclipped on hem of legs.
    Ta.

Edric64
    Free Member

Shimano and Sidi do 14s Northwave have in the past but not sure about now

jamiep
    Free Member

Im ‘normal’ sized 😉 but the Endura Gridlock waterproof overtrouser might be a suggestion. There is a kinda internal 2″ turnup held with poppers which can be unpopped to lengthen the leg
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9273
    less than £35 with the CRC 10% off.

MrTall
    Free Member

Giantonagiant – i’m the same height as you and suffer the same problems. Specialized and Shimano are the shoes i usually use and gloves vary but are always a bit too small in the thumb and fingers although some xxl are better than others. My ‘3/4’ length waterproof shorts are above my knee when i’m riding!

You’ll usually be stuck with buying online as most places don’t carry stock to fit our size (can’t blame them really as we are ‘rareties’) but at least there is a bit more choice these days.

Holland is a good place to pick up decent fitting gear if you are ever over there and XXL there seems to mean just taller, not loads fatter like it does over here.

LS
    Free Member

6’2″, 37″ inside leg here. No joy with any cycling overtrousers as the waist (I need 30″) is always massive on the longer leg ones, which still tend to come up short. In the end I’ve got some longer-leg Berghaus Paclite ones which have been modified with extra poppers on the leg to keep them out of the chain’s way. Still not ideal but they’ll do.
    I also have a similar problem with long-sleeve tops as I need the arm length of xl or xxl but the chest of small or medium. Club kit in custom sizes from Impsport and Endura has been the only remedy for that.
    Pro (the Shimano sub-brand) are good for big gloves, they go up to xxxl I think. I’ve got some of the waterproof ones in xxl and they’re spot on.
    I’m also a fan of Specialized shoes, but then compared to some I don’t need a really big size, only 46 or 47 (for winter) 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Go to the USA and shop there. You can get the bigger sizes even if you have to order them. For long arms, get arm warmers. I only have one LS cycling top that is long enough – the rest just get arm-warmered for winter. Helly Hansen thermals can have very long arms – depends on the style. I am a big fan of 3/4 bibs, especially my roubaix ones. Also a fan of knee warmers as they go from mid-thigh to top of the calf. They keep the important bits warm enough. I’ve never found trousers of any form comfortable for cycling.

LS
    Free Member

Have my arm warmers custom made too…..
    Off the peg ones can be long enough but the circumference is far too big.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Another vote for arm warmers. I use them under my long sleeve tops to cover my lower arms / wrists which don’t get covered by the jersey.

I tend to go for any pair of longs I can get as long as they don’t have foot stirrups. I just regard them as 3/4s and accept that there will always be a bit of flesh showing between the bottom of my longs and the top of my socks.

I have large hands and find that the largest size Gore gloves to be an OK fit. In general I find that Gore stuff is a good fit for tall + skinny riders.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Advice on trousers for the taller/lanky rider……’ is closed to new replies.