Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • advice on touring gears
  • ollie151
    Free Member

any gear advice on what i should get for my new tourer i’m

was thinking about a tripple front chain ring (i.e 26, 36, 48) seems to be normal…

any advice?

cheers

midlifecrashes

Give us a clue, what size wheels will you be using, for a start. Then, road, offroad or singletrack? On a regular 700c road bike, to be used on the road, a regular roadie triple will be fine. 26/36/48 is good too if you’re going for an MTB chainset, there are good deals on Deore591 and XT771 at the moment. Also consider what shifters you use, if using Shimano roadie shifters you’ll need a roadie front mech too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

24/28 has done me on 4-pannier alpine climbs, I’m reasonably fit though and don’t mind some pain.

Some like lower though.

ollie151
    Free Member

700c wheels

will be doing potentially a lot of touring in the mountains in europe, so i need a gear that i can go nice and easy up steep hills

cheers

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

50:18 on 26 inch wheels works for me.

boblo
    Free Member

Two truths about tourers; you can’t have too low gears or too much brake. Credit card touring in East Anglia is different to fully loaded through the Alps.

Assuming carrying gear in hilly areas and multi day, I’d go either 22 or 24 up front and 32 or 34 out back. At the end of a long fully loaded day into a massive headwind, you’ll welcome lower gears, using them is not compulsory if you’re feeling frisky.

Edric64
    Free Member

I use a 22/32/44 mtb chainset with an 11/27 cassette to haul my ass up 1 in 5 hills when tired and loaded with kit

fourbanger
    Free Member

Alfine 8, it’s the future!

Stoner
    Free Member
    ton

mtb gears here. why rush when touring? 8)

RustySpanner

MTB triple on the front.

Lowest rear sprocket as large as possible before it grounds-out on right handers. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘advice on touring gears’ is closed to new replies.