Advice on steel hardtail

Home Forum Bike Forum Advice on steel hardtail

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Advice on steel hardtail
  • wobbliscott

Transition TransAM? Comes in both 26er and 29er flavours. The 29er takes upto 140mm forks if you want something with potential loon factor. Not the lightest thing around, but bullet proof and a good ride from what I can gather.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Fair price difference between a Soul and a 456.

If I had the money I’d pick the soul over 456 – mainly because it’ll probably have a better finish on it and they come in such nice colours.

Look at a Decade Versa if you’ll be runnign 120-130mm forks on it.

t-p 26

If you like the frame that much why not just get it fixed? And sell the replacement?

winch

The 456 Evo 2 is fantastic value for money. The frame has some really nice details, I particularly like the bulge butted seat tube. It is of a lot better quality than I was expecting. Only downside for me is the headtube is still 1 1/8th only, which you may be ok with since you presumably have some 1 1/8th forks from the piglet.

Having said all that my mk3 dialled alpine arrives next week 😀

Do Ragley still do the Blue Pig? Would that be an option?

geelo

Good idea TP. Though I think the issue with it is a manufacturing one, the seat tube was bored out too much, so not sure it’s reparable.
    Are the soul and 456 pretty similar rides to each other as well as the Piglet? If so I would probably go for the cheaper option.

toys19

How many cracks do you hear about on cotics?

geelo

I think they still the Blue pig though I’ve heard it’s not much of a climber.
    I chose the Piglet as it was an all rounder. And with dialled forks, it really had two sides to it, an XC and a fun point and shoot trail bike.

geelo

Do they have problems too?

mangatank

I’ve got a Ti456 evo, but if I was buying steel, I’d go for a Soul. I used to ride a Kona Exlosif, and I gather the Soul rides a lot like that, so it must be a fabulous frame!

Hardly anyone complains about the Souls ride quality, but you’ll see people complaining about the weight and deadness of the 456. This might have changed with the latest version though.

There is a thread on here about the Cotic Solaris. It really opened my eyes to some 29ers major shortcomings. Go back a few days and take a look. I’d definitely go with the 26.

winch

I’d say the Soul is considerably more forgiving/flexy depending on your point of view. It’s head angle is also a good deal steeper and so its handling is less downhill orientated. I still found my Soul to be a hoot when pointed downhill and the Soul is the closer match to the geometry of the Piglet.

Premier Icon johnhe
    Subscriber

The new Evo 456 looks great, but then again (IMO) so do the Soul and the new Piglet. The new Piglet looks a much better bike than the previous models to me.

For me though, the Soul has a certain allure that the cheaper frames just don’t have. It would need to have for the price!

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

geelo – Member

I think they still the Blue pig though I’ve heard it’s not much of a climber.

best bike i’ve ever ridden on technical climbs.

longish chainstays, + steepish seat angle = awesome climbing.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Blue Pig is heavy but that aside it’s a pretty superb technical/steep climber- doesn’t look like on paper obviously! Needs a little more attention than some for spinny climbing but still totally acceptable. As soon as a climb gets interesting my Ragley’s better than any bike I’ve ridden, even my Soda. Build quality was laughable on early Ragleys but maybe that’s sorted now? (I had 3 Mmmbops, one of them was more or less acceptable)

geelo – Member

Are the soul and 456 pretty similar rides to each other as well as the Piglet?

Soul and old 456 do kind of the same job, just the 456 does it adequately and the Soul does it brilliantly. End result is that they’re not really similiar to ride IMO. Not ridden an Evo to compare.

geelo

Thanks. I’ll ask the question if a Blue Pig is an option.

geelo

I was hoping to get some advice on which steel hardtail to replace my Ragley Piglet (2011) with. It’s seems to have developed a crack on the seat tube. Which is a crying shame as I loved that bike and even called my dog Ragley after it, (sad I know). Think this is a known problem and Ragley look like their going to send me a new frame. Though it’ll be a Piglet2, which I’m not so keen on. So it’s time to look at what else is out there.
    I’ve been looking at the On-One 456 Evo 2 and the Cotic Soul. Is there anything else around? Or is the Piglet 2 actually pretty good? Or the other option is to rebuild the Pig2 sell it and start building a Steel 29er. Any advice will be greatly received.

tonyd

Not ridden a Blue Pig or a 456 but until this week I did own a Soul. Fantastic bike, really made the trail come alive™

messiah

If you loved the Piglet surely the Piglet2 will be the perfect replacement.

WideOpen Mag thing on Piglet2

I loved my Ragley Troof but after it cracked Ragley were unable to replace it with anything similar… and I’ve still not found a suitable replacement 😥

winch

What makes you shy away from the new Alpine messiah?

The new piglet frame looks nice, but for me it’s ruined by the paint job. Looks like an overgrown kids bike to me.

mangatank

Fantastic bike, really made the trail come alive™

No! Don’t tell me Cy’s sold out to 650b so quickly?! 😉

messiah

What makes you shy away from the new Alpine messiah?

It’s one of a few on my current short list but I didn’t pre-order… :mrgreen:

geelo

I’m really put off the Piglet 2 by the paint job. But is it actually any good? I’ve not ruled out a straight swop.
    I like the look of the Alpines. Are they available yet?

winch

I like the look of the Alpines. Are they available yet?

They’ll be in stock on monday morning.

johnellison

Stanto Slackline anyone?

geelo

How much are they?

MoseyMTB

I was torn between the Alpine and the Slackline 631. In the end, with the pre-order, the alpine was only slightly more and I’ve always wanted one.

Depending what size you are and how flush you’re feeling, with heavy heart I will be selling my Brodie Holeshot frame to continue my stable evolution (going back to getting a suss bike).

eyerideit

How about?

Less common than the common varieties.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Cotic BFe, Dialled Prince Albert … there is quite a long list of possibilities

You might find the BFe closer to a Piglet than a Soul and it’s a fair bit cheaper

geelo

Oh no. There is too much choice out there. I very much like the look at the BFe and the sanderson as well. Does any one know when the new batch of BFe’s are out because I quite the Gritstone but none left in a medium.

Premier Icon MtbRoutes
    Subscriber

Love my Piglet 2!

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

+1 for Sanderson (the 853 one).

sv

Slackline rides very well, Sanderson is nice too just a bit more XC than I wanted. New 456 looks good also.

Kato

I have a Dialled Love/Hate and think it’s awesome. EBB though and no gear hanger

kja78

I had an early Piglet which cracked in a similar way. Unfortunetly as I bought the frame secondhand (but unused) Ragley wouldn’t do anything. Anyway, after not getting on with a couple of-off-the-shelf bikes I eventually bought a secondhand Soul frame and built it up a few months ago.

I have to say I don’t like it as much as I liked the Piglet. It’s nice, and I’ll be keeping it, but it doesn’t quite have the same zinginess that the Piglet had and doesn’t feel quite as ‘right’. It’s difficult to put my finger on it, but the Piglet just seemd to have more energy about it.

I think if I was looking for a new bike again, I’d be thinking about a steel Genesis frame.

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

+ lots for the Sanderson. My soloist is the everything a steel hard tail should be. Stiff enough to climb well, flexy and springy enough to give the “steel is real” feeling. With 120mm Revs slack enough to descend. The 853 is even better.

The Soul is a bit steeper in the head angle, but the ride is stunning. Different league to the 456 & the Blue Pig. I’ve owned both. The Blue Pig was great descending but you have to ride it like you stole it.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Advice on steel hardtail’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top