Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice on spectating the Tour de France (Col de Peyresourde)
  • chenav
    Free Member

Hello all,

We are going to be in the French Pyrenees this summer exactly when the Tour comes by and we want to see on of the stages. We are targeting Stage 12, on the final climb to Col de Peyresourde.

We won’t be able to ride up there (wife’s pregnant) so we’ll take a car, and will probably settle at the beginning of the climb.

I’m attaching a map showing where the race comes from (top right) and where we’ll be coming from (bottom center): http://i.imgur.com/fLfsari.jpg .We will be hiking in the area of Oô and our car will already be parked there and waiting for us on the day of the stage.

Do you know how early they are likely to close the road leading from Oô to the main tour road? Will we be able to find parking near the main road, if we arrive around noon? Will they at least let me drive towards there to drop off my wife and I’ll go back to finding a parking place further away? How long will it take us to get off the main road and down to Luchon once the whole races comes through?

Any advice and tips you can share will be much appreciated!

Cheers

mattsccm
    Free Member

Leave now.

dovebiker

The Dutch and German campers have probably already selected their spots and put their ‘towels’ down – typically roads are barricaded from the morning and only official vehicles permitted on the course. How long depends on the traffic – it’s not unknown for Tour traffic to clear way into the night on mountain stages

nickjb
    Free Member

As you are coming from a side road it should be a little easier. That will technically remain open the whole time. In practice it’ll be full of traffic and will become a car park. You may have to walk a bit. Also toilet facilities may be an issue, especially for a pregnant wife.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Find a small side road that joins onto the course, if you’re aiming to get there around 12 then accept that you’ll be on the lower slopes somewhere, and may have to do a bit of walking. You’re unlikely to get a car onto the climb at all on the day, but the rest of the route should be open until a few hours before it comes through. The campers at the top will probably have been there for a couple of nights already.

chenav
    Free Member

Appreciate all of your replies. It sounds like our plan is reasonable, assuming I’m willing to walk a bit from where we’ll park our car (hoping to be able to drop off the wife closer and then return along the small side road). Toilets is a good point, thanks, we’ll take that into consideration. I’m guessing also food and water are a must, and we’ll try to get our hands on a couple folding chairs and entertainment for the long wait.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I watched the penultimate stage last year to morzine. Was right at the crest of the hill.

We rode up in 30 degrees heat then it started to rain. I have never been so cold in my life, standing around for 4 hours. Luckily the caravan threw us some ice creams!!

My advice, bring some warm clothes regarless of the conditions at the bottom. Alpine thunderstorms when in shorts and t shirt are absolutely no fun whatsoever.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice on spectating the Tour de France (Col de Peyresourde)’ is closed to new replies.