Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Advice on selling an insurance right off – Whyte 146
  • loboswan
    Free Member

Hi folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2011 Whyte 146 which some &%$£%* tried to nick… In the end, as I keep one of the wheels separate they nicked my old hard tail.In the process they have cut into the rear swing arm on the whyte. This is relatively minor and LBSs gave conflicting advice on whether it was still ride-able or not.

My insurance company have written it off and offered a full bike replacement (bonus!). So I am now considering whether to try and sell it as a complete bike or strip it down and sell it.

andyl
    Free Member

if I wasn’t on a train back from London I would reach for the hobnobs…

AlexSimon

I would buy a new swing arm – get it all working properly and then sell as a complete bike personally.
    But check with your insurance company first. You may need to buy it off them for a nominal sum, otherwise it may not be yours to sell.

Trimix
    Free Member

I would be surprise if your insurance company want the old bike back. What would they actually do with it.

If they do then they will have to come and collect it from you – which is unlikely to happen. Especially as your not at home 9-5 week days when a courier will have to come and get it.

So as its yours, fix it and sell it.

shortcut

It isn’t yours to sell. You should check with the insurance company, best bet would be to ask them when they are going to come and collect it and check whether they want you to dispose for them.

jekkyl

*write off. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

I thought the normal stw advice was a bike fetches more as components ?

OP IMO you can sell it, the Insurance Co won’t want it back you could call and ask for peace of mind.

loboswan
    Free Member

Cheers folks, insurance co have said I can keep the bike, so it is mine to sell. Doubtful I can source a replacement swingarm as they don’t make them anymore, that’s the reason the insurance co have written it off. I’d prefer a quick sale as I don’t get much free time at the moment (young family!) so will probably stick it on the classifieds for £600 and see if I get any takers. Someone may want it as a spare.

tthew

£600 quid for a 2011 bike with a known, potentially serious defect? 😆 I reckon your decimal point is 1 place out.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

I Agree with the above £600 is way too much, look at halving that to have any chance of shifting it any time soon. And then be prepared to drop the price.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Get in touch with fibre-lyte and see if they can repair it.

(other carbon repair companies exist, but fibre-lyte are highly recommended in the northern regions)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Advice on selling an insurance right off – Whyte 146’ is closed to new replies.