Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice on Saint v Hope Tech M4
  • cyclical
    Free Member

Hi, looking for a new set of brakes for my d/h – freeride bike and narrowed it down to either Shimano Saints or Hope Tech M4’s. I like the feel of both and both have plenty power. I haven’t owned either of the latest models so was wondering what your experiences are. In order my priorities are :-

1. Ease of set up/caliper centering from time to time.
    2. Ease of pad replacement
    3. Ease of bleeding/servicing
    4. Reliability under long continued use (ie in the Alps).

Cheers

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I have the Tech M4’s……

1. VERY easy! (1 min job)
    2. VERY easy! (2 min job)
    3. Easy – (10 mins each end)
    4. Just used mine in California for some pretty hard riding, NO ISSUES!

I hope that helps?

EDIT: I use mine with the floating rotors.

scrappy
    Free Member

mine are tech v2’s, but 1-3 above are exactly the same. going to the alps in the spring so will know then how good they are for continued use.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have the new saints, unbelievably powerful. Not heard a bad thing about them yet.

1. Very easy, never had to alter mine after fitting
    2. The original pads have lasted ages so not done this yet.
    3. Absolute doddle – mineral oil is a bonus too.
    4. Not uses mine in the alps but don’t think it will be an issue.

tomhughes46

I have older M4s, friends have Saints. Saints win on power, but for a brake that is likely to be on a bike that is crashed, Hope spares make this a far better option. (Also have XTs. Spares seem to be ‘new hose, new caliper, new lever’).

Also maybe look at cost of pads?

MRanger156
    Free Member

The saint pads are pretty pricey.

DT78
    Free Member

No experience of saints but the hopes are fantastic. The tech lever is lovely I really like the feel and ease of adjustment on them.

Bleeding hopes is easier than bleeding my LX’s which I assume are a similar process to saints, not major issue though.

Would have thought the m4s are lighter.

Think you should be comparing the V2 to the saints though?

slowrider
    Free Member

Hope m4 pads fit saint with a little fettling. they are definitely the best brakes you can buy if you want stupid power with great feel, ott for a lot of stuff though, but there’s no harm in having stuff that works too well! Spares aren’t as good as hopes, you can’t get the inividual parts like hope do.

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

to be honest i think your getting a great set either way. i went for saints instead of m4’s because i had the old mini lever versions and fancied a change, i love the saints and how easy and customisable they are with the piss easy reach adjust.

cyclical
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys

supertacky
    Free Member

Saints for:
    Power, Looks, mineral oil, ease of bleed and modulation when moving (feel on/off in car park test). No fade / boil over. Pads last for ages
    Saints against:
    Spare parts seem to be non existant. Expensive pads

Hope for:
    Power, Looks and spare parts. No fade unless you use sintered. Hope after service.
    Hope against.
    Corrode easily – Road salt kils them. Sometimes hard to bleed.

I’ve personally used both for downhill both a re amazingly powerfull and fill you with ocnfidance. I’m currently still running Saints, but it was more a financila descision that anything else.

They’re both great

Chainline
    Free Member

Superatar do saint sintered pads

I have saints and love them..looking at a bike with M4’s, so have a dilemma?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice on Saint v Hope Tech M4’ is closed to new replies.