Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice on route.. Swansea Gower mumbles to Rhosilli area
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Planning a mini bike packing trip from Swansea to Tenby.
    Can anyone help with a route from the mumbles to rhossili.
    Must be CX rideable travelling pretty light with frame bag, bar bag and smallish seat pack.
    Looks like there’s some ace cheeky coast path sections. I’ve seen quite a few routes nearer llangennith but was looking to link Langland bay to rhossili..
    Was hoping to leave Swansea train station at 7.30am, make it round the Gower then to pembrey by evening.
    Following day will be pembrey to laughrne, ride down pendine beach and mixture of beach and cheeky route to Tenby.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

You’d probably want to avoid the coast path from Mumbles to be honest. It’s got steps and it’s usually quite busy with walkers.

The road from Mumbles – Langland – Caswell – Bishopston is quite hilly but once into Bishopston you can head down to Pwlldu bay and pick up the coast again briefly. Head right up the foot path for a cheeky 5 minutes and then there’s a bridleway climb up to Southgate. Can get pretty muddy though. Then across Pennard Golf course and down to Parkmill and on to the road for a few hundred yards and back on to a bridleway for a rocky climb up to Penmaen.
    Follow the Gower way up over Cefn Bryn…Nice views from there. I usually follow the road again from Reynoldston before rejoining the Gower way from Llanddewi to Rhossili.

Oh and there’s tidy cake to be had in the Cafe at Rhossili

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks.. Just the sort of pointers I was after. Won’t be doing it for a couple of months. Just trying to plan a few routes for when it warms up a bit. Also need to plan around a large low tide for the second part but know this section of coastline much better.

prawny

There’s a big ride somewhere on the internet that covers the last bit from just after caswell bay to Rhosilli, it looks fun, and fairly CXable in general.

strawdog
    Free Member

funnily enough i did the sort of ride you are describing yesterday! – id say 95 percent of what i did would be good on a cx bike with a some smaller sections maybe a bit too rocky to be fun on a crosser – if your on strave my route is here https://www.strava.com/activities/864381488

IdleJon

The road from Mumbles – Langland – Caswell – Bishopston is quite hilly but once into Bishopston you can head down to Pwlldu bay and pick up the coast again briefly.

I’d head up Mill Lane, following the bridleway on to the golf course. Cross the golfists down to the top of Mayals Road and spin along there for a mile or so until you reach Pwll Du Lane.

Or up Clyne Valley cycle path almost to Gowerton then follow the bridleway back towards Three Crosses, then a sneaky footpath (Snakey Lane Climb on Strava, I think) to Upper Killay, then follow Hen Parc Lane on the the above mentioned golf course from the opposite side. Cross onto Mayals Rd, etc.

Nipper99
    Free Member

As above, the ride along the length of Cefn Bryn is a real joy. The bridleways via Kingshouse to Rhosilli are ok. Make sure you get up and over LLanmadoc hill. Also the marsh road from Llanrhidian to Crofty is nicer than the main road as you get to Gowerton. The Millennium path is nice as is the NCR route from Kidwelly to Ferryside.

wonnyj
    Free Member

As above the best bits, not to missed include:

-full length of Swansea bay from the river mouth to Mumbles
    -Southgate cliffs to three cliffs (then head up stream and on to penmaen)
    -Cefn Bryn
    -Rhosilli down
    -Salt marsh minor road (i saw a hen harrier there a couple of weeks ago).
    -leave Gower at Gowerton
    -Ncp millennium cycle path is lovely to Pembrey

odsbodkins
    Free Member

All above sound good.
    Cefn Bryn bridleway is deffo worthwhile.
    Millennium cycle path is also great from gowerton to Ferryside, mostly car free. Used to ride it regularly, or partially with a bit of train, as a commute from ferryside to Swansea and back, and never tired of it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice on route.. Swansea Gower mumbles to Rhosilli area’ is closed to new replies.