Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice on new bike.
  • cbr9
    Free Member

Evening all,

Long story short I have currently have 2 bikes. An On One 45650b and a Transition Bandit 26″. I’m considering selling them both and putting money towards a bike to save space in a cramped flat.
    My riding varies a lot, odd trail centre, but mostly natural stuff in Scotland which can include a lot of peddling. Definitely prefer technical tracks rather than jumps/huge drops however I’m starting to get into enduro racing (mostly for fun, not too competitive).

I have had my eye on a Bird Aeris 145 but recently came across the Whyte T130 (other suggestions welcome, I’ll have around a 3K budget).

I feel stuck in the middle of not wanting too much travel as I’ll use it for the odd XC ride and commute. But also wanting something up to the challenge of Enduro.

Oh nearly forgot.. the only reason I’m considering this is because I feel the Bandit is too small. I’m 5’10 on a medium but struggling to get on with it.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Cheers.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

If you like the Bird but worried it may be too much travel, have you considered the 120? 130 fork and 120 shock, but with relatively decent geometry. I think they’re pretty long too so shouldnt feel too work.

The other regular recommendation for this style of bike is the Cotic Flare. The Whyte is very well thought of too, and is very popular.

Are you able to test ride any of them? If you’re not going to test ride then one of the direct buy companies may be worth looking at too (Canyon Spectral or YT Jeffsy).

flashinthepan
    Free Member

If I was spending £3K I’d be looking at the Bird Aeris. £3K gets a great spec; Pikes, Eagle X01, Reverb. Up to you whether you think the 120 or 145 is more appropriate.

I had a test ride on the 145 and loved it. And the guys at Bird have a fantastic reputation for support. They do a medium, medium/large and large so you should be able to get sizing spot-on

I may be wrong but weren’t they thinking of setting up a test facility up in the North East?

blitz

I’d be having a look at this:

http://pedalsbikecare.co.uk/shop/occam-am-m30-large-orange-xt-brake-1x-upgrades/

Love mine. Full carbon frame keeps the weight down so it’s great for xc rides but it’s got a good amount of travel for your harder riding. It’s a brilliant all rounder IMO. The large should be good for you too. I’m 5′ 9″ on that size and it’s great.

mahalo

large Jeffsy ftw. YT got £400 off at the moment

bigbloke
    Free Member

YT Jeffsy is awesome choice for value for money and is also a cracking bike to ride.

roverpig

If you are looking for a shorter travel bike for all year round riding on Scottish trails there are some good deals to be had on the Orange Four at the moment. It’s basically a copy of the Five from a few years ago, when it was your classic British trail bike.

cbr9
    Free Member

Thanks alot for the info!

I do like the VFM and look of the YT’s, but I think i value a UK warranty more. I’ve had mates off their bikes for a long time with canyons/YT.

Will look into the orange 4, maybe there’s a good spec on sale somewhere.

Decisions decisions…
    Cheers!

hambl90
    Free Member

The new cannondale trigger

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice on new bike.’ is closed to new replies.