Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice on knee pads
  • billysugger
    Free Member

…/guards/whatever they’re branded nowadays.

I need some but they’re something I’ve never looked at before.

When I bought some for riding motocross I spent what I considered a lot of money because it was cheaper than a month off work so I’m not looking to scrimp although discounts give me a semi.

Anyone recommend me some?…

frogger
    Free Member

What type of riding will you be doing with them?

Just normal trails? Then the 661 Kyle Straight slim ones are fantastic. Can wear them all day up and down the hills.

Hardcore downhill etc. then you want Raceface Rally FR pads.

djflexure

look at poc as well – can ride with the knee/shin all day

Northwind

Kyle Straits are very good- nothing clever or special, just good design and good coverage. The Scott Grenade pads are the same design but with a hard shell on, but a lot more expensive. Literally all-day comfortable, I’ve raced XC in mine (er, badly, but still) and did big rides every day for a week in France too. Just condemned my first set as they were ripped to bits but they lasted well.

I really rate my POC Bone kit but the leg armour isn’t for casual use IMO, I use it for downhill but I’ve not been too happy with them for XC- surprisingly comfy considering the huge protection but still, not comfy enough that I’m happy to mash miles in them. Their VPD soft kneepads really don’t impress me, they’re thin but they’re very enclosed and have patchy coverage, and frankly who cares if kneepads are bulky?

billysugger
    Free Member

Being a pudding head I forgot to mention what type of riding I do a lot of but you’ve got it covered.

I wanted something comfortable to wear under some baggy shorts without them trying to fuse into my knees but substantial enough to hit a tree at speed.

jedi

scott grenade pads for the win

franksinatra

Perhaps some of these

hilldodger
    Free Member

Fit will be as important as brand.
    Given how quickly pads skank up in hot weather they’re pretty difficult items to send back mail order once worn so a good item to buy where you can try them for fit/comfort.

billysugger
    Free Member

The Scott Grenade don’t seem to be that much more and I’d prefer to be wearing something with the harder outer, I mean can the 661 range take a good hit?

What’s the best place to buy? I could really do with trying before I buy but my LBS don’t stock any kind of pad, yes they’re super-gnarly like that, I blame CRC.

crc.com then….?

jedi

scott grenades are the best i have found

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice on knee pads’ is closed to new replies.