Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice on internal wall demolition costs
  • momentum
    Free Member

I am hoping that the experienced house remodellers of STW can give me some advice. I want to take out an internal wall in a new build house. It isn’t load bearing (confirmed by the architect) and so the job involves taking out a 2.5m x 2.5m plasterboard wall and doorway,moving a couple of dimmer switches, a plug and underfloor heating controls a couple of metres away, and then making good. Plis getting rid of rubbish and signing off the job.

The builder still has people on site working on another project which I thought would make things cheaper. Plus they have to replace the floor anyway so flooring costs are stripped out. The quote is £4.5k which seems high to me, even for London Zone 2. I will get some other quotes but there are advantages using the builder who built the house. Is their quote in the right ballpark or totally not?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

£4.5k ;0)

glad my father-inlaw isnt a stw member..
    knock wall down 4-5 hours including cleanup, 3-5 hours to realign oak flooring, had spare bits left over in the garage, and a plasterer £160 to cover/replaster incl materials, [10 metres length a foot wide of wall ], 4-5 hours to repaint the room a few times

its london so i’d get a few quotes, maybe get a northerner to come down and give him his tea

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Moving the underfloor heating won’t be cheap if its the manifold etc. Less so if its just an electronic controller.

momentum
    Free Member

whatyadoinsucka – that’s exactly what I thought. It’s almost at the level I could do most of the work myself, but if I did that it would take about three years and end up a bit wonky.

Rockhopper – it’s only the electronic controller for the heating in that room. The manifold is in the hallway, otherwise I’d understand the costs.

So far it confirms what I thought!

nickjb
    Free Member

That sounds crazy expensive. Assuming all the items that need moving are electrical and not moving pipes then that’s a couple of days work. Even at London prices I’d expect well under half that. Nothing too hard there to diy and nothing that needs sign off.

footflaps

I paid about half that to have a load bearing brick wall removed and RSJ inserted etc!

If it was just a plasterboard wall I’d DIY it….

momentum
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for confirming what I thought – they’re having a laugh! I was ex petting something well under 2k so glad to hear it was in the right area. I would diy it if I had the time but will look for a cheaper local handyman or builder.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice on internal wall demolition costs’ is closed to new replies.