Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice on hardware and software for Go Pro editing for £500 for kids bike club.
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

We’re looking at a second hand mac book pro and final cut software.

I’m used to Windows so a bit nervous. Windows seems to take hours with Microsoft movie maker.

Northwind

I always used my ancient but still pretty powerful windows PC, and Vegas Pro 10. You could probably find a PC of this spec in a bin, and the software wasn’t expensive. You’d not want to use it for 4K editing etc but for regular HD it wasn’t too fussed.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Could a 2.4 gigahertz pc with 4gb ram work ok with Vegas pro. It takes many hours to load the hour long videos into ms movie maker. I don’t mind the final rendering taking time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

does vegas allow you to swap the clips out? edit on the low res then upload the full res versions for the render.

Editing 1080 here on an AMD64 3.2ghz machine (desktop) with plenty of RAM. It’s good enough, on the laptop (I3 2.3ghz 8Gb RAM) using Premiere Pro it’s a bit sluggish but still usable.
    How does that compare to the mac spec?
    http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfb&cs=ukdfb1&puid=248ceac5

also you will get more for your money in the world of desktop.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I use an old but nice Dell precision 5400, 2.8ghz dual quad core processor machine, £120 with a £40 nvidia fx2600 750gig graphics card and 32 gig of ram (£80 :D)

It’s pretty bloomin quick at go pro video rendering from Sony movie studio. Ok the 32 gig ram is a bit excessive, 8 would probably suffice.

If my well spec’d laptop (HPEnvy) takes 45 mins on it, the PC will take about 5.

bensales
    Free Member

You can edit perfectly well and very easily with a recent Macbook (not pro) and iMovie. My wife produces some superb videos using this kit (and latterly an average spec Macbook Air). £500 will comfortably get you that and it’l be a lot easier to use than the Windows options. iMovie is great for an amateur.

Oh, and you don’t have to wait to load the video in with a GoPro, because it’s already on the memory card in a format that iMovie can edit usually.

jam-bo

iMovie on the iPad works well for simple movies and is dead simple to use.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

The 16mb ram ipad I tried this on didn’t have the memory. The file are always many mega/gigabytes
    I used one of those apple adapters that convert the lightning port to an sd card.

Laptop is preferable as it needs to be portable for the bike club as we’d like the membership secretarty to use it to run the Access Database of members.

cbike
    Free Member

Sounds like a great way to potentially lose the database of members? Who has access to this laptop? The weans to make their videos?

Arty and admin laptops should be physically separate in my experience.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice on hardware and software for Go Pro editing for £500 for kids bike club.’ is closed to new replies.