Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice on going from van back to car
  • stevemtb
    Free Member

I’ve been running a crew cab van for the past 6+ years. Been absolutely ace for biking duties. It is now got typical Ford rust and a few other issues. Basically feels like a 12 year old van now. Plus insurance seems to be on an upward spiral, playing as much this year for me plus one named driver as I was last year for any driver over 30 🙁

Not had passengers in the back seats for ages, trips have been me only or meet people there. First few years it’d have up to 5 people and bikes on trips.

Positive points though, can sleep in the back seats, can get changed in there, normally a spare bike in, tool box, washer and change of clothes/extras that might be needed are always in it, bikes totally invisible, trip away can include different types of bike.

So how much would I regret moving back to a big estate, or possibly a people carrier. Really don’t fancy the security aspect of bikes on the roof all the time, tow bar mount occasionally could work.

Options at the moment are 1) run the transit until is falls to pieces/chucks up a big bill, 2) replacement smaller van, 3) people carrier, 4) quick estate A6/V70 size, 5) I guess I could spend a couple of grand sorting all issues of current van (just over 100k miles, engine feels fine).

Anyone managed to get rid of their van and not massively regret it?

It’ll never be my only vehicle so doesn’t have to cope with daily duties.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Regardless of the condition of the vehicle, why do you want to switch to a car? Why not just get another similar? Can’t imagine swapping back myself, the big space is far too useful for carrying loads and despite being a LWB it’s not too bad for parking etc.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Car would fit in the garage, better insurance costs (I think I’m penalised due to not using it for business use), higher speed limits (never actually been an issue). I guess mostly due to not using the space.

I think that is my big issue, car/MPV makes a lot of sense for dry weekends but on a wet weekend where a spare bike/stocked van comes into play I’ll massively miss it.

Got a year with a Civic on lease that’s my daily for the next year.

What I keep coming back to is to sell my off-road prep’d Jeep and run a fast 4×4 estate and a van, possibly still the transit but only use it when the space is needed. Value has probably dropped that much that I could tackle the rust myself with treatment & spray paint. Wouldn’t look the best but if it gets through another MOT that will be another year from March, clutch can’t be that much for a transit which is the main other issue.

Edukator
    Free Member

I had a Ducato for years. Useful for big objects but the DIY shops and supermarkets do cheap van hire. It was insulated and had minimalist camper gear but the bikes and car got used more for holidays. Car and van were sold and replaced with a Dacia Lodgy, think cheap Grand Scénic.

We’ve slept in the Lodgy as much as the van in later years. Three people and three 27″ MTBs go in with the front wheels out.

Having got used to the Lodgy the new car is a small hatch. Two 27″ MTBs, an overnight bag, a small tent and two of us. AirB&B has completely changed the accomodation market. We don’t use it but the gîte and hotel deals on booking.com mean we are happy to pay for solid accomodation.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How many seats do you need? I’ve just gone from a LWB T5 to a SWB caddy, found I was increasingly like you, meeting mates at trails, only me rattling about in a big van.

I can do all of this below in my wee caddy, and I’m 6’2″

Positive points though, can sleep in the back seats, can get changed in there, normally a spare bike in, tool box, washer and change of clothes/extras that might be needed are always in it, bikes totally invisible, trip away can include different types of bike.

Caher

Transit van with fold down seats?

stevemtb
    Free Member

Could definitely get away with two seats. If there is 3+ of us there is usually another van. Plus could hire for a big weekend away.

The crew cab gives a 5’8 cube load bay, when I got it I could put bikes side by side, wheels on, bungied to the roof. With the size of current bikes I struggle to get two in there with wheels on!

Caddy size is definitely interesting now as it’ll be possible to sleep in there too.

Cheers 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice on going from van back to car’ is closed to new replies.