Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Advice on employer changing working hours?
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Hive mind one!

We’re having a refurb at work, it’ll probably take about 6 months. Due to the refurb there’s going to be limited space in the building to get the work done, as such there’s talk of splitting the workforce into shifts. Normally we work 08:30-17:00 Mon-Fri and 4 hours mandatory OT every other Sat (overtime situation grates **** out of me!). As of yet there’s numerous different “plans” floating around.

Where do we stand from a legal point of view if the company want to change our working hours?

(I see it as the thin edge of a wedge in trying to make us work all day on Saturdays to be honest as once we’re in working all day I can’t see to going back to half day.)

I really don’t want to work shifts and certainly don’t want to if there’s no financial reward! Talk at the minute is that everyone should “try their best to be flexible…”.

I can’t see how this will do anything but further limit my riding/racing time, and the talk seems to be they’ll want it done for the same money! I feel a little bit stressed out about the whole thing, maybe I should have some “time off”… 😉

br
    Free Member

I can’t see how this will do anything but further limit my riding/racing time,

Offer to come in earlier – say 0600-1430? Plenty of riding after work 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

As above if there’s going to shifts get first dibs on an early shift, 6am to 2pm is a great shift if you don’t mind getting up early. I used to love getting out the door at 2pm. Or offer to do something like 3 12 hours shifts, or 4 10’s for example. I would agree that you need to be flexible but don’t just sit there waiting to complain about what the options are.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I think it’s more likely to go to a 4 on 4 off style so we can keep the sameish opening hours so that customer disruption is minimised. It’s also the knock on affect it has on the Mrs, I need to be home at 18:00 two nights a week so she can get to work.

I struggle to drag my arse out of bed before 08:00 as it is, 06:00 in the morning is something that happens to other people!

One of the real problems is I’m a right grumpy ****, if I don’t get to ride my bike it’s worse!

binners

As with most situations like this, you need to ask yourself…. what would Bob do?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Would he poo on the MD’s desk, that’s pretty much all I’ve got at the minute?

nickjb
    Free Member

I see it as the thin edge of a wedge in trying to make us work all day on Saturdays to be honest as once we’re in working all day I can’t see to going back to half day

Certainly something to be wary of. Had a job where there were quite a few redundancies, we were asked to help out and fill a few gaps as a temporary measure. Nothing was done by management in the interim period and just became a permanent arrangement.

MoreCashThanDash

Bob Crowe. Boy George.

Never see them together do you?

ski
    Free Member

got any boss blackmail credits, might be a good time to use them

aracer
    Free Member

Not any more, no.

br
    Free Member

It’s also the knock on affect it has on the Mrs, I need to be home at 18:00 two nights a week so she can get to work.

Make sure you tell you boss, before others tell of their ‘priorities’.

timba
    Free Member

Where do we stand from a legal point of view if the company want to change our working hours?

Flexibility is probably already in your contract, and if it isn’t they can change your contract

Get in early with your wishlist

steve_b77
    Free Member

Get a job elsewhere, problem solved.

Trekster

Different scenario, I work a 12hr shift pattern on a 24hr/365 day/yr continuos process. Due to “lack of demand” at the turn of the “crash” we were asked to be flexible and take time off at what has become know as a “production pause”. Theses pauses are timed to coincide with local school holidays and annual plant maint shutdowns. These were agreed for the first year, argued against the next year and would appear to have become the “norm” 🙄 The idea is to roll up production so as not to have any “down time” but now that orders are picking up, company has a bit of cash floating around and can do some development work on new products we are now being asked to be “flexible” again and work the pauses at what we consider short notice. ie order planning is crap so management cannot say yeah or nae to when a pause will occur!! Doesn’t affect me too much I need to cover the running machinery for safety purposes but the Mon-Fri guys are probably more pd off than us shift guys given the company has a work-life policy ❗

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Hmmm so “flexible” seems to mean what ever the hell the workplace needs/wants judging by the above. Awesomez.

Unfortunately getting another job is out…no one else would put up with me 😛

mc
    Free Member

Just bend over the table, and try not screaming like a big girl too much.

It all comes down to what’s in your contract, and any additional collective agreements. My employer loves additional agreements, but they’re that good at them they usually come back and bite them, as they never work how our brilliant management think they will.
    The compulsory OT one was brilliant, because you can achieve so much coming in for 2 hours on a Saturday 🙂

I’m half expecting to be shafted again soon with shift changes, but at least the others on shifts who used child care as an excuse last time to get what they wanted, are going to be screwed even worse than me.
    I’m all for reasonable allowances, but there’s reasonable, and there’s taking the p***.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Pretty standard MC, if you’re not currently getting screwed you’re just waiting for the next round of it!

andy4d

Maybe be glad you have a job and dont get laid off while the work goes on. Try working with your employer as they are investing in your future with the refurbishment, hoping to improve the company and working environment, securing work for the long term. If you dont change and adapt you can go kaput. Its not all about you…that said if the jobs crap then stick 2 fingers up at them and be an awkward sod. I have been in both camps over the years.

sam_underhill

Remember, flexibility is a two way thing! So, you could offer to be flexible on the shift patterns then in return, maybe they could be flexible on the need to do overtime on a Saturday?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Advice on employer changing working hours?’ is closed to new replies.