Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Advice on drink driving etc
  • Mounty_73

I’m looking for some advice……I know someone who is regularly drink driving and also taking drugs & driving.

I know its wrong and its my moral duty etc to report it, but I’m concerned about any repercussions and the consequences of my actions.

Its not a friend or a family member, but an acquaintance directly through my job.

One of my concerns is that if one day I wake up and he has injured or even killed anyone, for me that would be a lot of emotions and guilt to carry around.

Can anyone offer any advice on this please?

franksinatra

You phone it in to the police, no ifs, no buts. Surprised you even need to ask the question.

I’m concerned about any repercussions and the consequences of my actions.

I’d more more concerned about the consequence of your inaction

Stupid.is
    Free Member

Your right in wanting to tell someone.

My first port of call would be Crimestoppers, that way the issue out of your hands and hopefully the Police will follow it up, if not direct to the Police. Does he/she drive for a living?

oldracer
    Free Member

Shop him.

It’s a no brainer.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Call the police and let them know.

You may be feeling bad but the innocent that have avoided meeting them in a collision, their relatives, friends, the drink drivers family and friends together with the emergency services will thank

finbar
    Free Member

Any repercussions for your colleague of shopping him now will be significantly better than those if he gets caught or kills someone.

zanelad
    Free Member

STW making innocent people the villans yet again.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

**** them. Report them before they kill someone.

franksinatra

STW making innocent people the villans yet again

Where are they doing that, I don’t understand? If you are being sarcastic I missed it

bails

STW making innocent people the villans yet again

What?

Op, report him/her.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If the guy was out stringing barbed wire across trails you’d grass him up in a heartbeat.

It amounts to the same thing.

Irresponsible, selfish person knowingly does stupid, illegal thing which is likely to injure or kill others.

klunky
    Free Member
    PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m not sure that I could resolve it with my conscience if I hadn’t tried to stop someone from drink driving who’d had an accident that harmed themselves or anyone else.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s an older guy who regularly parks in my street – I live right in centre of town – who quite obviously has some sort of degenerative illness, takes him a good 15 minutes or so to get out the car and away, one arm shaking badly and the other arm limply hanging by his side.

I doubt he’s fit to take make a quick response in driving situations, but is it my responsiblity to question this?.

I had a similar siuation a few years back as the OP, guy I worked with was an alcoholic, and drove to work. After many arguments with my conscience, I did nothing in the end. He’s since lost his licence due to taking seizures/fits, but I still think that I didn’t do the right thing…

maccruiskeen

but an acquaintance directly through my job.

Depending on what that actually means – a fellow employee – a customer or client – your boss…. is there any channel through work that can be used to address it if it means that as well as being drunk while driving they’re also drunk while at work?

It may be a channel through which the person can be deterred from drinking/driving rather than having to be caught. It also shares the burden of ‘knowing’.

P-Jay
    Free Member

You’ve got to shop them.

I grassed my next-door neighbour a few years ago, I don’t regret it for a second, even though she’d dead now.

Better them inconvenienced by having to take the bus for a year, than a family dead because they hit them head on pissed up.

joshvegas
    Free Member

There are things you just don’t do. Allowing that behaviour to continue is one of them.

Better to lose his licence than lose his licence plus extended jailtime for manslaughter.

We had a guy at work telling us all he was going to drive home whilst swaying from side to side.

We asked to see his keys grabbed them and put them behind the bar. He was told in no uncertain terms it was a one time deal.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

report him before he hurts someone or worse

theotherjonv

There’s a bloke near me who takes his shotgun out and just randomly shoots it into the fields over the back of the houses.

he hasn’t hit anyone yet so I suppose it’s OK, or should i shop him for it in case one day he does?

perchypanther
    Free Member

There’s a bloke near me who takes his shotgun out and just randomly shoots it into the fields over the back of the houses.

he hasn’t hit anyone yet so I suppose it’s OK, or should i shop him for it in case one day he does?

Won’t anyone think of the Baby Robins?

oldracer
    Free Member

There’s an older guy who regularly parks in my street – I live right in centre of town – who quite obviously has some sort of degenerative illness, takes him a good 15 minutes or so to get out the car and away, one arm shaking badly and the other arm limply hanging by his side.

&

I know someone who is regularly drink driving and also taking drugs & driving.

2 totally different things.

1 is obviously, it seems, breaking the law & is unfit to drive.

The other – how can you tell if he’s fit or not?

elzorillo
    Free Member

Personally I would warn him that I have no other option than to report him if he continues.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

It may be a channel through which the person can be deterred from drinking/driving rather than having to be caught.

Indeed, your actions might well lead to the person concerned getting appropriate help and support. As well as the more direct safety issues mentioned above.

lucorave
    Free Member

Crimestoppers. Give the registration number and what you suspect is happening, if possible where the chap travels to and from and at what times. The car will be picked up on number plate recognition system and stopped.
    He could kill your or my kids whilst impaired.

Mounty_73

Its not a friend or a family member, but an acquaintance directly through my job.

It happens to be my boss, which makes it harder. I know its wrong, full stop, but I just wanted to see what my options would be..

franksinatra

Personally I would warn him that I have no other option than to report him if he continues

and cross your fingers that his next pissed journey isn’t the one where he kills someone

Houns

Have done this a couple of times whilst in pubs, seeing someone drink 5+ pints of Stella then get in their car. One chap I still see driving around, I must go go back to that pub….

scaredypants

Shop him.

He’s a no brainer.

franksinatra

Personally I would warn him that I have no other option than to report him if he continues

Shop him in, he gets caught, gets banned, gets sacked, you get promotion to fill his vacant post. Other road users are safer. Everyone’s a winner.

samunkim
    Free Member

One tiny point

Is his drinking actually impairing his ability to drive ?

The drink drive limit is set as a safe limit for a 8 stone 18 year.
    Isn’t that limit just red tape which needs sweeping away to save capitalism

maccruiskeen

It happens to be my boss,

I sort of suspected that by the way you wrote it in the OP – Boss as in line manager? Boss as in The Big Boss?

What are the circumstances in which its apparent he’s drinking and driving? Is he just telling you about it? Are you having after work drinks and he’s having one too many? Is he staggering across the carpark in the morning?

andygreener

With something as dangerous as driving and that is not under the influence of alcohol/drugs it must be a call to the police.

Hopefully it won’t be one journey too late.

oldschool

samunkim – Member
    One tiny point

Obviously trolling……..Or really daft?

theotherjonv

can you get his job if he then gets fired?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Boss or not, Crimestoppers, do it anonymously and feel better that at least you tried.

For some reason the higher people get in a job the more they think that the laws that govern the plebs don’t apply as much to them because, you know, they’re important.

In other words, **** him

craigxxl
    Free Member

As someone who has been on the receiving end of being hit by a drunk driver, having to give my own mother mouth to nose (jaw completely smashed) and then watching her and one of my brothers having to be cut out the car, I don’t understand why you are asking on here rather than stating that you’ve already informed the police as the person is a selfish prick who doesn’t car how many lives he may ruin.

franksinatra

From RoSPA

In 2015, provisional figures show that 220 people were killed, 1, 160 were seriously injured and there were over 8,000 casualties in total in drink drive accidents.

Although the level of drinking and driving has dropped dramatically over the last three decades, over 200 people are still killed in drink drive accidents every year.

Despite 30 years of drink drive education and enforcement, over 70,000 people are still caught drink driving annually.

Often it is an innocent person who suffers, not the driver who is over the drink drive limit. In 2014, 70 pedestrians were killed or seriously injured by drink drivers, as were 340 car passengers. 40 children were killed or seriously injured by drink drivers that year.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

One tiny point

Personally, I think the law should be tighter than that. If someone is driving, they shouldn’t be drinking any alcohol. Then there’s absolutely no doubt if alcohol is impairing the ability to drive.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Yes, report him. I did the same to my neighbour, I didn’t warn him beforehand but I did tell him the next time I saw him.

Nothing came of it as he was never actually caught in the act but he did stop driving for about 8-9 months until he moved away, according to his ex wife he then bought a sports car. The drinking saw him off for good about a year after that.

There’s not many things I have zero tolerance for but drink driving is one.

FuzzyWuzzy

Do you think he’s an alcoholic and struggling or just a self-entitled c*** who doesn’t give a crap about the danger (to others) of drink/drug driving?

If the former then I can see the dilemma, the guy needs help despite the fact he’s endangering others so just shopping him could cause a downward spiral in his life. Not sure what else you can do though, trying to write an anonymous note and leave it on his desk is likely to back-fire so ultimately shopping him anonymously might be the only option that doesn’t end up with flak for you.

If it’s the latter then shop him in a heartbeat and let the crows peck out his eyes (or something else suitably medieval).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Advice on drink driving etc’ is closed to new replies.