Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice on drilling glass fronted wardrobe doors…
  • takisawa2

Trying to drill some glass fronted wardrobe doors to fit the handles. Doors are pilot drilled on the rear.
    I opened out the pilot holes then started with one of the small "spade" type glass/ceramic drill.
    "SMASH/SHATTER/CRASH" 🙁
    And the door is no longer glass fronted.

Not even my doors. Bedroom is the Wife's friends & while she was fine about it I'm loath to smash another one.
    I've told her I'm not comfortable about trying another one. (Chicken really)
    Before officially admitting failure thought I'd consult the STW massive.

Any advice ?

scaredypants

my experience:

run drill slowly & stop frequently (I was advised)

bring a dustpan & brush – esp if it's old glass

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Vasaline on the drill bit. Dust sheet on the floor.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

superglue the handles on

you are attempting to drill a large sheet of glass near the edge. It'll just end in tears.

Failing that you need to put the glass on a perfectly flat softish surface and drill slowly

pilot hole may well be causing the problem if it is too big as well

pjt201
    Free Member

get some smaller screws for the handles that fit through the pilot holes.

takisawa2

Pilot holes are only through the door backing (chipboard), sadly not the glass or I'd have turned some special bolts otherwise.
    The Wife's friend mentioned the gluing solution.
    I dismissed it at first, thinking it might crack the glass over time. But thinking again, I bought some 3m mounting tape a while back – a kind of double sided 3mm thick foam, guess that might be worth a try.
    The door I smashed was only a small cabinet size, thank heavens I didn't start on one of the 6' wardrobe doors. 😳

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

drill the glass before the wood if they are wood backed, o/s hole in glass then correct size in the wood

BigJohn

Wardrobe doors will have toughened/tempered glass and I don't think they can be drilled. You will have to hide the webcam somewhere else.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

If the glass shattered then it's toughened ( heat treated)If so – forget it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

drill glass? thats glued to a wardrobe door, near the edge? run! run fella! get the hell outta dodge!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice on drilling glass fronted wardrobe doors…’ is closed to new replies.