Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Advice on Crashing
  • Euro
    Free Member

There’s an element of luck if you crash and don’t get hurt but it can be useful if you can learn how to crash. Maybe that stop crashing course will cover a bit of controlled bailing?

I was lucky* in that i spend most of my youth, up to my late twenties riding a lot of bmx. Some days when trying to learn new stuff, i’d be off the bike more than on it, but you get into a mindset when actively learning and are anticipating things going wrong and generally it was more falling off the bike than crashing, if that makes sense.

I still fall off the bike once in a while and unfortunately still have the occasional crash – despite not pushing anywhere near as hard as i could or used to. It’s the unexpected ones that hurt the most, regardless of speed, and in my experience the fast one DO hurt more.

More of a story than actual help, that. So here’s a top tip…stay relaxed, not just when riding but when crashing. And as odd as it may seem, take up Judo or something similar that will teach you how to spread your body weight to minimise the impact when you do hit the deck.

* Lucky as in, i’d hate to be learning how to crash now as a 45 year old man.

hb70

Lots of interesting replies. Many thanks all for taking the time.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Crashing is kind of normal if you are pushing your limits. Skills course will help raise your limits and improve your skill but if you still push your limits you will crash. Still I would recommend you go to a course.

This may help in the meantime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiQGFX_RlW4

After you have gained experience in crashing you will get better at anticipating them and therefore crash less, also you will respond better to each crash to minimise the consequences. I would recommend knee pads, gloves, helmet, eye protection.

When you are choosing knee protection fit is really important and I think you would be better off with some like Fox Launch Pro or 661 evo rather thank G-Form or FOX Launch Enduro.

tubthumped
    Free Member

Hb70 – I guess you are around Hebden Bridge?

If so I’m happy to meet up on the odd evening my and try and offer a bit of input if you fancy? I’m no world beater, but happy to try and help 🙂

I echo sentiments above and say get some coaching. Ed is fantastic and honestly would be the best 80-100 you will spend.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Is this normal? Do I need to get used to regular crashing? Because at 44 I have a job and responsibilities and mortgages to cover. Is it just a phase I need to get through that everyone does?

You can get insurance for mtb that pays out in the event of loss of earnings whilst you recuperate, I don’t think you’d be fired for injuring yourself once or twice in a major way.

joefm

Crashing is part of the sport. I don’t agree with slow down as other riders are probably far faster…

If you’re unsure of something – get off and have a look first. Being able to read the trail properly is key.

GCN-mtb are doing good stuff for tips…

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

It’s what makes bikers (both motor & push) what they are! you can be bowling about billy big b@llocks one day and on your face grinding the gravel another.

Staying on two wheels takes skill, experience, concentration and a wee bit of luck. We might laugh and poke fun when it goes tits up, but I’ve never met a biker who would not help or would intentionally cause injury to other people! Usually most will share similar or more humiliating stories of daft crashes we’ve all had, the scars and broken bones are not fun, but are part of it, a risk averse two wheeled life is not for me just yet.

To the trails my two wheeled compadres and forever we shall rip 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As you get older it becomes harder to learn new stuff. As you get older injuries become easier to pick up, and things break easier.

Ride with other better riders if you can. A skills course would definitely help.

As OP has said when you are young you can afford to crash, but as you get older you have responsibilities and can not afford to be in plaster for weeks at a time.

I find it odd that people think crashing is part of biking. Generally if you are learning new skills you increase the chances of crashing, but if you get to a skill level, you shouldn’t really crash, unless you go beyond that limit… Maybe there are a few people on here who have responded that are not as skilled as they think

As to pads, undoubtedly they offer some protection, as in for scuffs etc, but IMO to some extent they offer psychological protection more than physical. They won’t stop broken collarbones, wrist injuries, knee ligament injuries etc etc

thecaptain
    Free Member

Crashing is over-rated IMO. I’d rather spend the summer riding than in plaster, but I’m happy to acknowledge that others have different priorities. Going just a touch slower makes the downhills last longer!

jimjam
    Free Member

FunkyDunc

I find it odd that people think crashing is part of biking. Generally if you are learning new skills you increase the chances of crashing, but if you get to a skill level, you shouldn’t really crash, unless you go beyond that limit… Maybe there are a few people on here who have responded that are not as skilled as they think

There’s a saying in off-roading(4×4) “As slow as possible, as fast as necessary”. I like to think the reverse is true for mountain biking. If someone’s built a jump over a fallen tree, you need a modicum of speed to clear that, same with a section of wet roots, or off camber, or off camber wet roots!. Once a trail gets to a certain steepness then carrying speed is your friend. Slow, hesitant, ponderous riding will cause accidents. Especially when learning.

That being the case, unless you ride in the desert then trail conditions are constantly changing. Dry, dusty in summer, muddy in winter, slippery wet leaves in autumn etc etc. Unless you pre walk every trail accidents will happen.

hora
    Free Member

From what I’ve heard ..if its coaching spend the money on Jedi. I too live up north and if I was going to go the coaching route I’d do the drive/spend a day with this fella rather than someone more local.

You also ride somewhere that does have its challenging bits – mossy/off-angled stones, mis-shapen drops and thats just on the bridleways/public parts available to riders. Nevermind the cheeky stuff so no wonder you crash. Ace place though. Why not spend every other ride at somewhere like Gisburn? I’ll be riding Hebden etc at somepoint this weekend if you are free? I’ve crashed a fair bit myself and I could give you an opinion.

I’m firmly of the opinion that you have good riding days and so-so riding days. You shouldn’t ride the same trails the same way every day. You tend to crash either when your not ‘at your best*’ or you are going over your skill threshold IMO (i.e. too fast).

*The descent off the back/top of Heptonstall for instance- the last time I rode the roll in/over the drop bit. I got off and walked it as I just didn’t feel great that day.

funkhouser
    Free Member

im thinking about booking Jedi. 1 to 1 coaching is £210, 2 to 1 is £140 per rider. 210 is a bit steep for me – anyone wanna pair up for the 2 to 1?

wanna book in asap really.

hora
    Free Member

Post up a topic- I think its fair to create a new one to get more exposure on that.

hb70

I thought this had closed so apologies for rudeness. I have hooked up with a new group to go out with and learn from. I am going to do that for a bit before the skills courses to try to understand just where I am and what’s best. Many thanks again for all of your kind offers and advices. Cheers

hora
    Free Member

You only started the topic a day ago 😆

dazh

hb70, if you’re in Hebden then come out on the Monday night rides if you can. There’s a fair few people on them with a range of abilities who can give you some tips. Not that we’re downhill gods or anything, but we ride a wide variety of terrain without much incident*

*present company excepted

For my 2p, this is what I usually tell new people (all obvious stuff, so probably not even worth saying).

1. Relax
    2. Keep the bike moving, front wheels like getting stuck behind the tiniest of rocks or bumps if they don’t have the momentum to bounce over them
    3. Look ahead, not at your front wheel
    4. Drop your heels
    5. Ride the bike, don’t just sit on it.

Legoman
    Free Member

hb70 – the most important skill in relation to crashing, is learning to recount the incident to you family/mates without it sounding like you’re 3years old and just had your stabilisers removed!

funkhouser – which Jedi course were you looking at? I’ve been thinking about his jumps and drops one. Got a bit of an injury niggle at the mo, so might not be available soon enough for you.

funkhouser
    Free Member

jumps and drops is a public course. can get on any of those for £85.

next available dates are the 22nd June, 29th June or 13th July.

i preferably wanna go before i go to Morzine but the 22/06 is while im there.

the private courses are more tailored to what you wanna achieve, but Jedi is fully booked till August anyway. the other fella Nathan is available on the 3rd June – anyone used Nathan?

so basically im either not gonna get it in before going away or it wont be with Jedi…

probably hang on for the 13th July public…

nickc

Hmm some of the Heb trails are bloody tech. As per Dazh,

look at where you’re going rather than what’s in front of your front wheel, try to lay off the front brake on super steep tech, weight through your feet. turn your hips in corners, the bike will go, it’s probably your head that’s holding things up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Jimjam – I disagree. Conditions change week to week, but you should be able to recognise this change in condition and compensate accordingly.

I haven’t mtbd much in the last 3 years and have started crashing more, I’m not doing more difficult trails, just my skills have decreased. In my teens I’d just get on and increase my skills by practicing and crashing and improving. Now in my 40’s I don’t have as much time to practice, and my body doesn’t react so well to crashing. That’s why I’ve but my self on a course.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Advice on Crashing’ is closed to new replies.