Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Advice on buying a full suss about £1000 to spend.
  • sooty
    Free Member

Hey all, I know this will be a very repetitive question but since selling my Scott MC40 I want another bike. I have about £1000 to spend and don’t mind second hand! I’m 5ft 10 and weigh about 13ish stone.

I’ve been told to look at the Giant Anthem X1, Scott Genius.

I ride to work so will need full lock out facility as vast amount is Tarmac. But the riding I do is cross country, bridal ways, and places like Gisburn Forest and Dalby.

It’s been a while since I’ve been on the scene and ive never heard of half the makes and don’t know which Cube, Specialized bike is best in the range etc…

I’ve seen a Trek Fuel 9.9 with full XTR which I like the look of but have no idea on if its suitable!

Before I put a wanted add up or look on dreaded eBay, some advice would be greatly received.

Cheers Sooty.

wonderchump
    Free Member

Look on the ‘For Sale’ on here or on Pinkbike where there are over 40 pages of bikes for sale from $500 to £999 (just looked). I reckon you could could pick up a Cotic Soul or BFe for that money which would suit both your tarmac duties and your trail riding.

sooty
    Free Member

Looking on the for sale sections are ok if you know what your looking for!

I shall look at those, cheers.

Del

I reckon you could could pick up a Cotic Soul or BFe for that money which would suit both your tarmac duties and your trail riding.

but sadly would not meet the FS requirement… 😉
    lots of treks and giants around, but i know nothing about them i’m afraid. you should be able to pick up a decently equipped, older ( 3-4 year old ) orange 5 for that budget though, i’d have thought.
    i’d stick with a HT though, for the sort of job you described

lightning
    Free Member

£1000 is bottom of the price range for a useable FS new.

However you might get a deal on a 2012 or 2013 NOS bike, if you want a new one.

If you are in the UK, Paul’s Cycles ( online bike dealer) have a few in the £1000 range.
    A quick look on their website revealed a 2013 Giant Anthem S3, and a Cannondale, both around that price.
    I am sure there are other dealers selling similar bikes.

Find a bike you like the look of and google it (eg 2013 “Giant Anthem S3 for sale”)

These are both solid starter bikes that won’t fall apart when you take them off road, and are worth upgrading as parts wear out.

sooty
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I certainly not bothered about having a new bike, a bike 3-4yrs old that’s been looked after is ok with me.

I have seen this… http://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1539703/

And a trek fuel 9.9 on eBay.

I’d prefer to buy older and get better spec.

It’s a huge amount of money so I’m only going to do it once!

deadkenny
    Free Member

New isn’t best value for money anyway. Though second hand you need to be sure it’s in good nic and you aren’t going to be spending a lot replacing worn components.

Best option I’ve always felt is shop warrantied second hand & ex-demo, or old models being sold off in sales. Not as cheap as some private second hand, but you might be lucky and find something in budget. Maybe pushing it for £1k.

Generally – steer clear of ebay and definitely gumtree, or at least approach them with suspicion.

Other option is cheap frame and build. Nukeproof ex demo frames go pretty cheap. But then you have to get the components so it all adds up again. It’s better if you have most the parts already.

sooty
    It’s a huge amount of money so I’m only going to do it once!

😆 – I started out like that. Even £300 for a cheap pile of crap well over a decade a go was a lot to me, £1k was a fortune for my first proper MTB. Soon you’re into £2k, £3k+ bikes, multiple bikes, endless component upgrades and replacements. 😀

sooty
    Free Member

Cheers on the Paul’s Cycles!

£1129 for a 2013 X2

sooty
    Free Member

Ha ha, I’m into my old VW’s and they take all my money!!!

br
    Free Member

only issue with s/h full susses is that they could easily cost +£300 to get serviceable.

rene59
    Free Member

Keep an eye on the Trek demo sale website, occasional bargain to be found there.

http://www.trekdemosale.co.uk/

allfankledup

I picked up my 2013 Giant trance er1 for 1k
    Bought it from my LBS where it had been a demo bike. Needed a new tyre, and it has signs of not being 100% loved by previous pilots but overall….I’d do it again..

lightning
    Free Member

Yeah Paul’s Cycles (and other online pile ’em high dealers) have some good deals.

It’s always nice to get a new bike, but l agree that it’s not the best value for money…..unless you get an offer like that Giant Anthem S2.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

15%of at the Edinburgh Coop this weekend.

higgi
    Free Member

Billys Bikes Salsa Spearfish

LMT
    Free Member

Pedalon.co.uk tend have a good range often reduced, nice shop as well, went there once to pick up a trek.

sooty
    Free Member

Hi guys! Well after looking around I managed to pick up a 2012 Giant Anthem X1 for a great price. Enough change out of £1000 to buy my wife a bike!!!
    I pick it up from the bike shop today…. VERY excited!!

Cheers for all your help….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Advice on buying a full suss about £1000 to spend.’ is closed to new replies.