Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Advice on building a single-speed steel 29er please!
  • turbocabbage
    Free Member

Hey guys, I’m currently in the process of building a steel single-speed 29er MTB and looking for ideas on what kind of kit to go for. The bike I envision would be a high speed light-weight lean and mean XC/all mountain bike, which could also handle a few tabletops, jumps and drop offs (but nothing too extreme in that department) So far I’m thinking:

Frame: Originally I wanted a Niner MCR or SIR, but Niner frames are really hard to get hold of in the UK and sadly beyond my budget. Instead I’m now considering a Salsa El Mariachi, which has been recommended to me a high quality steel frame at a reasonable weight (2.4kg, or 5.3lb). Is anyone able to give me any feedback on how it rides and handles? You can see the frame here: http://salsacycles.com/bikes/el_mariachi/el_mariachi_frame/

For Fork and Brakes I’m pretty much set on a Rockshox Reba and Shimano XT.

Wheels: I’m not to sure on this, I’m open to suggestions as I’m not to up on different wheel brands. I’m after something very light while still durable. I found this set of Fulcrum XLR on the On-One website: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPFURDME29XLR/fulcrum-red-metal-29er-xlr-mtb-wheelset-
    It seems like a pretty good deal to me, but I’m not speaking from a great deal of knowledge. What does everyone here reckon on these wheels? And can you get 29inch MTB wheels which are significantly lighter than 800g front / 1000g rear without paying through the roof?

For the Bottom Bracket I was recommended Shimano Hollowtech as being both durable and very light, is this a good buy? Can anyone suggest a really light-weight BB/Crank/Chain set which won’t cost me silly money?

Thanks a lot!

chunkypaul
    Free Member

frame – not tried a le mariachi, but used to own a salsa mamasita – quality frames, i’m sure the el mariachi would be ace as a first SS 29er

forks/brakes – fine

wheels – if you are planning on spending £330 on a 29er wheelset, for a little more (say £50) you could get some stans crests custom built on hope hubs, which would be excellent

cranks/BB for a SS – a square taper BB and a middleburn uno cranks can be bought for £150

main issue is that this kit is pretty much SS specific while as the shimano kit can be swopped between SS and geared

Clink

I may be able to help you out on your Niner frame search 😀 – mail in profile.

Andy

Pretty much as chunkypaul says

+1 on Hope/Crests….s’wat I’d do next. Thats were the money should be put IMO.

Niners are silly money for what they are though. I’d look at a Swift for half the price.

Andy

Oh and for Forks this is a good deal (kicking myself for posting this….)

search ebay item 190494399837 (Fox 32 F29 RLC RP24 100mm £300 new)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Advice on building a single-speed steel 29er please!’ is closed to new replies.