Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • advice on bike/trike for post-stroke rehab….
  • teeon
    Free Member

Hi

A mate of mine had a stroke last summer and it has left him – at the moment – with no movement in his left arm and impaired movement in his left leg, (righthand side of body is fine). Prior to the stroke he was a very active climber, fell runner and cyclist and he’s trying everything to keep his fitness and working hard to encourage his body to move properly again. One of the things he’s considering trying/getting is some kind of recumbent trike. Problem is….where to go to have a look and ride one….There are several hire centres that have arm-powered quad-type bikes but what he needs is something like this:
    http://www.lightfootcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/021.jpg

….that could be rigged righthanded.

Most of the places that do this kind of stuff seem to be US based, anyone know of anything similar in the UK or has any experience of this kind of thing? Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers all, Tim

joshvegas
    Free Member

How about a tandem? You drive obviously.

teeon
    Free Member

Cheers, but no. He wants something for getting about on independently

LoCo
    Free Member

Boma powered 4 wheel bikes, sound like the kind of thing that might be useful, initially.
    Ben Cooper is the chap who could suggets options on human powered recembent, hand cycle etc type stuff.

JoeG
    Free Member

Obviously, a lot depends on exactly what your friend’s limitations are. But something like this might make it possible for him to get onto a bike without full use of his left leg.

edit – and there’s someone on stw that is in the business of custom bikes like this. Hopefully, he’ll chime in…

cinnamon_girl

WorldClassAccident is the man to speak with, hopefully he’ll see your thread.

teeon
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks, I’ve sent Steve a link to the thread to have a look himself…..

jond
    Free Member

One of the better-known manufacturers -ICE – are in Falmouth, probably worth looking at their dealer list for the nearest – if you caught any of thr Invictus games, the Brits were riding them..there’s several models for differing requirements. One dealer is Dtek – Ely nr Cambridge – has a large number of various 2/3 wheelers s/h too. Bikefix in London are also a dealer, and London Recumbents in Dulwich Park (S London) do Hase trikes. I think Rob Hague wrhpv.com (Derbyshire) is a Greenspeed dealer. Laid-back recumbents in Edinburgh stock ICE and Hase. There’s also Kinetics in Glasgow, dunno offhand what they do.

jond
    Free Member

Oh, and wheelnv.co.uk in Kent seems to be Cattrike dealers.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve done quite a few for people in similar situations – one-handed controls aren’t a problem, and also pedals which can help with limited ankle rigidity are sometimes a good idea.

I do a bunch of different trikes – there’s tadpole ones (two wheels in front) and deltas (two wheels in the back), both types have their pros and cons.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘advice on bike/trike for post-stroke rehab….’ is closed to new replies.