Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Advice on bike sale
  • adamthekiwi
    Free Member

Hey folks,

Is it bad form to ask advice about selling an old bike – specifically, price and the best way to advertise? I’ve always broken my old bikes, but I actually have one I’d like to sell!

Cheers – Adam

batteryhorsestaple
    Free Member

Depends how quickly you want to sell, and if you’re prepared to post and go through any hassle to get a few extra quid.

If you’re lazy and or rich, then ebay with 99p start and see where it goes (remember total fees are a bit less than 10% with paypal). If you’re motivated and/or poor then advertise it over and over on here and pinkbike until somebody bites. You should expect to lose about 40%+ from retail if it’s a year old, more if it’s older.

teadrinker
    Free Member

pics, loads of detail and don’t forget size. If your happy to post then say that and include the postage in the price if your selling on here. Decide what you want for it price wise. If you want a £1000 for it then advertise it for that, if you get no interest then chances are the price is too high. Don’t forget pictures. Don’t do lazy links either to old adverts or pinkbike etc. If you advertise on here then at least put all the details on here (that’s just my preference). Example of (in my opinion) a crap advert

Sadly selling my 2013 Giant XtC Composite 29er carbon hardtail.

Used approximately 10 times and in excellent condition. Included are Shimano M424 SPD MTB Pedals, front and rear Cateye lights, Giant high security chain, pump and spare tube.

I can no longer ride due to shoulder injury

Bought late 2013 for £1699

£1250 or reasonable offer.

Call *removed* for more details and pics.

Don’t forget pictures.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Don’t do lazy links

When you’ve drafted the ad, including the pictures and gallery links and everything, SAVE THE TEXT in a separate document so you can paste it in again if you have to re-post.

That way you can re-post the proper ad with the pictures.

🙂

enmac
    Free Member

I would say put it on Pinkbike where things are easy to find rather than on STW. Here you have to wade through lots of stuff you are not interested in and your ad quickly falls off the all important first screen. I have sold a bike and set of forks recently on Pinkbike, which didn’t get a whole lot of interest here.

Sorry to put down what is otherwise an excellent website and resource but the “For Sale Forum” isn’t what it used to be.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Advice on bike sale’ is closed to new replies.