Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice on a second hand
  • zingrock
    Free Member

Hey guys im looking at buying a second hand hard tail and my budget is £350. What bikes should i be looking at? Could I be looking at 29ers or just stick to standard size bikes? Any advice on where i should look?

Cheers, Morgan

z1ppy

That’s a pretty open question, it’s like asking us what book do you want to read? Without any other info about your preferences….

So the bike you should be looking at, is the type you want…
    No point in looking at a pure XC speed machines, if you want something trailsy. Decide what you want and what you really can get for your money (by looking at ad’s), and then put up a WTD ad asking for that is a good start… Where should you look? Here (WTD ad/for sale sections), ebay, gumtree, pinkbike. No reason not to look at 29ers, though the newer more progressive (traily) types won’t be as easy to get with your budget. Though that’s fine if you want a fast XC 29er.
    I’d suggest sticking with 26er’s, unless you quite tall, as 29ers tend to suit taller 6’+ ppl more often, though everyone’s different

Gunna give us any more into to work with?

sandwicheater

I think you should get a green one, will make you go faster I’m sure.

zingrock
    Free Member

Good point. Umm rockhopper style trail type bike, not competitive at all but love singletrack and the occasional jump, round where I live (chilterns) is lots of cross country trails etc with plenty of hills. Is that enough?
    I’m 5’11” but if you think I can get more bike if I go for a 26er then I think that’s what il do.
    Okay cheers, yeah trawling eBay etc at the moment but il but up a WTD asap.

kayak23

I would advise having a mirror image of your first hand for the second one. It works for most people.

aw
    Free Member

26 inch hard tail in my view…

I picked up a classic 2nd hand Klien Attitude V with FS, Chris head set and top SRAM group set for £350 five years ago…still got it!

zingrock
    Free Member

Ah cheers for the advise, I’m having a look on Saturday at a 2012 rockhopper in my area going for £350 ( http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/specialized-rockhopper-2012-mountain-bike/1050528799#photo-content ) if it’s in good condition, would this be a good buy? Or should I hold out for a better deal?

z1ppy

I’d look on ebay at the “completed listings” option for the Rockhoppers and see if that what they sell for (useful option to see past sales prices, to judge current values). Though I’d wonder if a 19″ frame isn’t too big for you, it might be fine but I suspect your on the cusp on both sizes (17/19″)… what size frame do you currently have?
    My only ‘issue’ with the listing is that it’s had a new cassette, why only that part of the drive train? You don’t change cassette without changing the front chainrings & chains in my book (as they wear together).
    Just seems strange

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice on a second hand’ is closed to new replies.