• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Advice needed – replacement wing mirror glass
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Humph … my good start to the weekend has been somewhat stuffed by some twonk hitting my passenger side wing mirror. I now need replacement glass and the backing plate (the main body of the wing mirror is fine).

Went to halfords, who said (a) it would need the glass cutting to fit due to the year / model of car, and (b) that they didn’t sell the backing plates anyway. Suggested looking on the Internet, which I’ve tried doing but am now confused! (not hard – I am useless at car stuff)

So – anyone know where I can buy a replacement glass and backing plate for a passenger side wing mirror on a 2008 skoda fabia?

(next time I’m just going to stick to riding my bike at weekends …)

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

ebay, there are loads of them, less than a tenner.

julianwilson
    Free Member

A good big-ish motor factors shop would be worth a ring. If they are local I would try GSF car parts, our local branch is excellent and friendly and probably have a much-cheaper-than-skoda (but fits the same) one in stock.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is it electric heated type?

project
    Free Member

Nick one off a nother skoda, seems as if someone already does, 2 neighbours have had their wing mirrors nicked, one off a vauxhall and another off a renault.

Sue_W
    Free Member

DD – not heated or electic.

Project – I don’t think I’d be very good at nicking them, I’d probably have to ask someone first how to remove them!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Try wingmirrorman.co.uk Sue. Plug your details in and they’ll get back to you with a quote. That’s what I did. There are loads for sale where you simply stick the new one onto the old one but that only works if the old one is cracked and still there.

Nomad
    Free Member

Local Scrap yard for best price

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thing is with local scrappie, wing mirrors are nearly always the first things to be sold from a broken car. I’ve found this from recent experience.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Sorted – got one from wingmirrorman.

DD – many thanks! I owe you a pint if we ever meet 🙂

PS – this is why STW is great, especially when you’re a car-numpty girl!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Woo. I love it when a plan comes together. No worries Sue.

GW
    Free Member

Don’t understand why you didn’t go with to the first reply! 😕
    wingmirrorman is quite expensive, I recently bought replacement wing mirror glass for a Vauxhall from Ebay for well less than a tenner posted next day. (£7 IIRC)

ebygomm
    Free Member

Someone broke mine last week too. 🙁

Still just about functional, glass shattered one end. Backing plate is fine but need a new cover as well as glass. Electrics still work but don’t know if I can replace the cover separately or not.

julianwilson
    Free Member

GW – Member

Don’t understand why you didn’t go with to the first reply!

in this case yes, (depending on how soon you want your mirror fixed) but if i did that every time i asked something in this forum, I would probably be living in vietnam driving my kids named Theolodius and Melody around in an lwb defender listening to some awful guitar bobbins music. etc.

GW
    Free Member

Sorry if you’re put out I didn’t say “Don’t understand why you didn’t go with the second reply!”
    not everyone has a motor factors within a sensible distance of their home but most will probably have a letterbox 😉
    it’s not like it’s even a legal requirement to have 3 mirrors on your car so it’s hardly urgent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed – replacement wing mirror glass’ is closed to new replies.