Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Advice needed regarding knee/leg pains please.
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My right leg has recently started giving me gip whilst road riding. Its a pain located in the back of my right knee/lower leg (towards the outer side of my leg)

It hurts most when sitting and pushing hard on the pedals, when stood out of the saddle its near enough pain free. Saddle height hasnt changed, although I did drop it a touch the other day to see if this would help.

Cleat position is also the same as it always has been.

Oh what shall I do?

rocketman
    Free Member

Knees are very delicate and need a lot of care. Keep them cosy ( min 16 degrees) even on warm days with knee warmers and if you can, try some different shoes with more flexible uppers.

jedi

tight illiotibial band?

olie
    Free Member

Back of the knee usually means saddle to high. If you’ve been in this saddle position for some time its more likely that you’ve damaged the knee off the bike and the pedalling action agravates it.

Go see a physio first and then get to a bike fitter to make sure you’re set up is right.

email me if you want my address is in my profile

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Jedi, it could be something like that. Judging from this picture below (not my leg by the way) it seems to be in a similar area. How do I fix my tight illiotibial band?

I also keep my knees cosy, although i wouldnt say its specifically a knee pain, it seems to correspond more with what jedi has mentioned.

jedi

i wnet to physio etc years ago but when chatting to bob downes he said he could fix it in one session of massage. it never returned 🙂

sports massage for the win

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s a lot of differing opinion on itbs. Some say lots of stretching, some say it can’t actually be stretched. Deep tissue massage seems to help a lot of people as do firm 6 inch foam rollers.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Back of the knee usually means saddle to high. If you’ve been in this saddle position for some time its more likely that you’ve damaged the knee off the bike and the pedalling action agravates it.

Go see a physio first and then get to a bike fitter to make sure you’re set up is right.

email me if you want my address is in my profile

I did try spds on my mtb a few weeks ago which is what I think masy have aggravated it. The cleats were set up differently to how the are on my road bike and I pedalled with a slightly different technique to account for the lower saddle height. However, I havent ridden ym mtb since, just my road bike.

Whats the best thing to do? Time off? Its not a massive discomfort, I managed about a 7 hour ride on saturday and it didnt get any worse, its just annoying.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed regarding knee/leg pains please.’ is closed to new replies.