Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Advice needed please
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just taken bike out for demo…

…at shop the headset felt a little loose. Asked the guys, told its ok.

Take bike out. 40m ride to the trail. Hit first trail and first drop. Front wheel and handlebars immediately go in two different directions. I am the only thing that goes straight – OTB. That hurt a lot. Then pick bike up and see handlebars and wheels completely misaligned. Front shifter snapped off. 🙁 only good news was that I was in the highest gear. So ride home wasnt too bad.

Should this happen ie, handlebars and wheels spilt like that? Is that a set up issue. It felt like the front end completely crumpled under me as I went over first drop.

Just needed some advice before I go back to shop. I was pretty shaken up by that.

xcgb
    Free Member

Was it a shop based in peaslake and cranleigh?

phil.w
    Free Member

Is that a set up issue

Definitely! Sounds like the stem bolts weren’t tightened up properly.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

So did the handle bars twist away from the wheel, if so then yes big issue with the bike shop. Last year I picked up my new roadbike and was standing in the carpark with the shop owner chatting and the handlebars came loose in my hand! They could not have been more apologetic! Not sure if you have any recompense (or that you want any) other than to not give them your business and tell them why!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Xcgb – no I’ve learned that lesson!

I am feeling at bit pissed off about this (partly because my cousin is paralysed from a Mtb fall this year) and that felt like it shouldnt have happened. It was the way the wheel just crumpled under me on the first steep role in. A soon as the weight went forward, the whell crumpled and I was gone OTB. There was a circular track left in mud.

Just need to know what to say. I am right to be P off? I guess I will have to repair the shifter. Judging by their last quote, that will not be well priced!!

cranberry
    Free Member

Just needed some advice before I go back to shop. I was pretty shaken up by that.

Judge by their helpfulness/reaction whether you want to make an expensive purchase from them in the future. If the response is “sorry about that, etc,etc.” then consider them, if they are arsey/try to put the blame on you then you’ve saved yourself the trouble of buying from a place with bad service- they won’t be more helpful after they have your money in their pocket.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is there anything I should check before I go back to LBS. if I put the wheel between my legs and move the handlebars they move quite easily.

Front shifter snapped off handlebars – I guess I will be stung for that, on quote for previous repairs they tried to pull a fast one, so I need to be careful I don’t get fleeced again. I expect to pay since I signed the form, although p offed at the way the accident happened.

xcgb
    Free Member

Name and shame! please!

wwaswas

I’d leave it ‘as is’ and just talk to them about it.

DrP

Should this happen ie, handlebars and wheels spilt like that?

Clearly not….

Stem bolts not tightened up properly IMO.

Take bike back, and see what they say – in a way, [can o’ worms here..] I’d say they as the provider have a responsibility, but also you as a user should check the bike is suitable to be ridden…

DrP

duckman

THM,I would have thought that demo would be enough to suggest your bike was not set up properly…

TPTcruiser

Get them to come to you the feckers!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

DrP, yes ultimately I share some responsibility (I was thinking of recent thread and general lack of STE sympathy) for checking the bike. When I put it on my bike rack, the headaet ( well the final bit with FSA between frame and headset) slipped round easily. It felt odd and I went back to ask specifically about it. Without checking the guy said it was ok.

I have had a cup of tea and feel less shaken now, I will go and see what they say. Very annoying as I have been really looking forward to the demo and this was literally the first bit of proper trail.

Del

well, you have a duty of care over the article they gave you. so basically if you’d done something stupid, they’d be within their rights to ask you to make good ( ie pay ). however, it is their responsibility to ensure the bike is sound. from the sounds of it they did not take their responsibilities seriously – just going by what you’d said. did they actually look at the bike when you queried it, or just say ‘it’s fine’? either way i’d be pretty pi55ed off if it was me. you could have been badly hurt. mistakes do happen but i would take it back calm and collected, and see what they have to say. i would not be paying for any repairs and i would expect either another demo or a refund if you paid to demo the bike in the first place.
    bummer. 🙁

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Just to get this straight was it a demo bike or your own ?

If its yours did they repair it ? NO ITS A DEMO !
    If so its your word against there’s…but if I were you id give Citizens Advice a ring first and get there stance on it.

It wasnt fit for purpose !

Just imagine if that had happened on the road !

Be strong speak with the owner/manager

(I work in the trade and have done so for 12 years)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s their demo….hence I assumed (foolishly) that everything would be set up ok

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

still it should be fit for purpose tell em youve taken legal advice…and watch them poop themselves…

Philby

You shouldn’t have to pay for the damaged shifters – they wouldn’t be damaged if it had been set up properly!

scaredypants

the demo

so this is their bike that they’ve lent you for a demo ?

I guess I will have to repair the shifter

You brought a potential fault to their attention on their bike that they lend out to potential customers. They assured you it was OK, then it failed. I’d not be expecting to pay for that at all – did you pay a chrage to take the bike as well ?

joao3v16
    Free Member

Demo bike, therefore shops responsibility to ensure road/trail-worthiness.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks for the instant advice. Del I think you are correct. Ten deep breathes and keep calm when I go in…

…I am expecting the worst after they quoted 3x the price on a recent repair to my old bike than my normal LBS.

I will let you know!!!

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Why should you pay for the shifter?
    If they gave you a bike that wasn’t fit for purpose, they should be kissing your ass and hoping you won’t call those scumbags at injury lawyers for you.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

just dont pay ! tell them it will have to go through a solicitor !

woody2000

I predict they will say the bike was fine before you took it, whatever has happened was due to something you did.

Those words in prety much that order I bet 😕

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well scardypant, I am not a great mechanic, but let me try to be precise, When I lifted the bike onto my saris, the bit that looks like a washer where the stem meets the frame (where FSA put their brand) felt loose and slipped round quite easily. That was the bit I questioned them about. Does that make sense?

xcgb
    Free Member

nirvaaanaa? beyoond? head to the Hillllls? Go on share……. 😀

wordnumb
    Free Member

Take some photos of the bike (and ideally the drop) before taking it back, then do what unfit says. Give them a chance to sort the situation before making clear that you will be taking the matter further as you feel the bike wasn’t fit for purpose when it left the shop.

DrP

^^ I think you’re referring to a headset spacer…

DrP

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have already paid for the demo and obviously signed the disclaimer. I will ask for a copy (doh). Frankly I am not looking for a scrap or compensation. But I feel an apology, free repairs and perhaps a free demo might be in order especially when I am considering buying a bike and they are the only dealer of that brand near me.

scaredypants

When I lifted the bike onto my saris, the bit that looks like a washer where the stem meets the frame (where FSA put their brand) felt loose and slipped round quite easily

just tried a couple in my garage. They will turn but not “slip easily” on mine. I wonder if it’s related to headset bearing preload rather than actually what happened to you – although if the stem was loose the preload could be “lost” even if it was ever set

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not Nirvana!! Demoed a bike from them and it was in great order! Word numb, I realise I should have taken picture at the time, but frankly was a bit shaken up by the whole thing. I had just said to myself, ok, this is the first test to see if I am going to buy this bike as a headed for the drop. 20 seconds later, it’s all over!!!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Assuming everything you’ve said is accurate, why would you go back to that shop? You alerted them to a fault, they said don’t worry about it, fault flipped you OTB. You want your money back for the demo, and they should be glad you weren’t injured.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Don’t pay for a thing!

piemonster

Can we have regular progress updates please.

I’ve always been curious as to how things pan out with demo bikes when things go wrong.

xcgb
    Free Member

So it might be beyond then……….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not them either. To be fair xcgb, I want to see how they respond first. I just wanted to ask the STW what was reasonable to expect.

So thanks for the advice!

xcgb
    Free Member

I know- but i’m like a dog chasing a bone!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You are geographically close but you made the wrong turn last time!!!!

xcgb
    Free Member

Ha ha Ok i can guess i think!

martinhutch

yes ultimately I share some responsibility (

Not really, no!

You even asked whether the headset/stem was set up right.

There is no way you should be paying for repairs, they should be grovelling like the incompetents they are, and refunding whatever you’ve paid for the demo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.