Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Advice needed on hard tail geometry
  • Intense-Pilot

I've recently bought a 2010 Cotic Soul on which I've fitted a pair of Fox TALASs and a 70mm stem. It handles beautifully on singletrack and descents. Since I bought this bike, I have been wondering, can I get away with some longer travel forks on my 2002 Ti Merlin Mountain, The specs suggest a 80 to 100mm fork (I've had a set of 100mm Fox Float RLCs fitted on the bike since new) but with "modern thinking" can I get away with a 120mm Fox F32? I guess I should fit a shorter stem – currently I have a 90mm 5 deg Thomson? The HTA is 71.5, the STA 72.5. I don't want to splash out on new forks if the experts out there think it won't work.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The handling will be what it is and most likely you could adapt to whatever changes fitting the longer fork makes. However, the thing you should be aware of is the stress that the added leverage will place on the head tube. Restrictions on fork travel are as much to do with this as they are geometry.

Mackem

Might be an idea to look at a zero stack headset to compensate.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    harryparabolics
    Free Member

However, the thing you should be aware of is the stress that the added leverage will place on the head tube.

+1 to that. I've snapped a head tube on a frame with a slightly longer travel fork than recommended. Not an experience I'd like to repeat.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed on hard tail geometry’ is closed to new replies.