Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Advice needed on CycleCross/Road Bike
  • nuthead53
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m new to Road Riding and I am looking for some advice regarding my future bike purchase.

Some background info:
    I have average experience in Mountain Biking, through training courses etc that I did through school/college. This went up to Mountain Bike leader.
    I don’t really have any road riding experience.
    I want to get a bike that a can commute to work on.
    I also want to use the bike in the summer for a cycling tour in Scotland.

I have a very limited budget of less than £450

What bike/setup would people recommend?
    I am looking into buying a 2nd hand bike. Re post in the classifieds, but I thought I should put a post up for discussion around this area.

Any information you can suply will be great, as the choices seem endless and it’s hard to know where to start.

Thanks

aP
    Free Member

To start with go to a good bike shop and get advice on sizing/ position etc. This give you soemthing to work from. As far as bike choice goes, then obviously you’ll want mudguard and pannier mountings and probably either a triple chainset. All the rest is up to personal preference.

nuthead53
    Free Member

Yeah, I do need to go into a bike shop again. Last time they wern’t very helpfull.

I think I would need a XL frame as I am 6 foot 2 with long legs.

In the classified thread, someone suggested a Uncle John bike. It seems pretty good from what I have read. Not sure if the riding position is comfortable for long periods?

BontyBuns
    Free Member

I think you’ll find this should be more than sufficient.

grantway
    Free Member

Buy one using the cycle to work scheme ???
    That would mean you get a better bike and for less money.

wors

I’ve got a giant road bike i’m thinking of selling but prob a tad small. Im 5’11. No rack mounts but you can get those seat post mounted racks for light touring. Email in profile if you want more info.

nuthead53
    Free Member

Can’t use the cycle to work scheme…. bonty that bike is perfect. I could get a couple of bagettes in the front basket. Word thanks but I think that bike would be to small.

plumber
    Free Member

I cycled manchester to luxemburg on my uncle john so its comfy enoungh for touring

Plum

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed on CycleCross/Road Bike’ is closed to new replies.