Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice needed on child carrier rucksacks
  • simonm
    Free Member

Started to look at a carrier for our 6 month old, can anyone point me in the direction of what features to look for and which manufacturers are good qaulity ?

Thanks for help.

ikimbunza
    Free Member

We've got a Macpac Vamoose. Utterly brilliant piece of kit and still looks good even after 2 kids! Macpac aren't cheap but i think you get what you pay for.

I've heard good things about LittleLife and VauDe as well.

I can't stress enough how important it is to try them on. The Macpac fits me like a glove but friends just ouldn't get on with them. When you have a toddler on your back wriggling around fit is even more important than with a standard 'sack.

glenp
    Free Member

We had a MacPac – was good.

Tip: If you get one that you can set down safely with kid inside, that would be a very useful feature.

Some sort of sunshade attachment and decent headrest also good.

Those things more important than really big possible capacity – make them walk once they can!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Harry_the_Spider

As stated above. Get one with a stand so that you can get it on and off on your own.

Prepare to have your ears pulled!

Tango-Man
    Free Member

As well as the ear pulling prepare for them holding onto one ear and slapping you head as though you are a horse, quite funny for the pedestrians in Keswick town centre! 😆

DickBarton

LifeVenture Voyager 2 – typically the wife went for the top end one but it is very good – comfortable for all day wearing, adjustable for various lengths of back, plenty of storage space for supplies of nappies/food/water/wipes/etc.

It doesn't stand on it's own – which I think is a good thing as if a youngster starts kicking or fidgeting it could topple…but the Lifeventrue has an anchor point so you have to have your foot in it to keep it upright – so the kid isn't going to topple.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

+1 to the all of the above. I can't remember who made ours (Karrimor maybe), but the padding at your child's chin / face level was removable for washing…frequently. Avoid ice lollies and ice cream when they're on your back 😥

Mog
    Free Member

Another vote for Vaude. I think it's definately worth looking at a freestanding carrier. This is ours, but we bought it from a Decathlon in France a couple of years ago. Comfy, sun/wind shade, freestanding, easy to use harness – wouldn't change anything on it. Going strong for a couple of years so far…

null

Schweiz
    Free Member

I found the Deuter Kid Comfort 3 to be in a class of it's own but be aware that due to the full length metal frame, it is very long and doesn't fold down – can be inconvenient for cars and planes.

simonm
    Free Member

Wow ! thanks for all the advice… looks like cauliflower ears are my future.

Harry_the_Spider

Cauliflower ears, smacked round the head and snot down your back! All good fun.

fubar
    Free Member

Feature to look for (as we discovered whilst testing them in the Lake District) is a rain cover…and how quick/easy it is to apply.
    Some come with a shower cover but a full rain cover totally covers the child…(other option is just sticking child in and out of waterproofs). We tried the Mac Pac and thought the RainCover was awkward…ended up with a Deuter Kidi Comfort 3 + additional rain cover…it's a good pack, good amount of storage / adjustments / has a sleeve for a drinking bladder…only downside is that as it has a metal frame it can squeek a bit (did when new although I think it has 'worn in' a bit now).

We tried loads…even the botton-of-range Vaude and Deuter are pretty good…things that put me off others were rough (but pretty) animal patches on the chin pillow just where little might be resting their head…and also clips for rain-covers again just where little one could be resting their head.

Kick-stand is (a little bit) handy but you should never leave it free-standing once nipper is in…some of the others without the stand will still stand upright anyhow so maybe not a big deal.

phew !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed on child carrier rucksacks’ is closed to new replies.