• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JPR.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Advice needed- looking for a decent hardtail
  • fishonabike
    Free Member

I realise I’m at risk of getting hundreds of conflicting pieces of advice, or indeed the unfortunate tumbleweed experience of no replies at all. However, on the assumption that there are plenty of you out there who like offering advice, here’s my question: which hardtail should I buy? Here’s a bit more info on what I’m looking for:

-absolute maximum budget of £1300, however under £1000 means I can get it on bike to work scheme which is a big plus. I can’t afford to test ride loads, because every penny I spend on a test ride is less for me to spend on the actual bike.
    -while this will be my my first mtb, it will also be my only mtb. Future component upgrades as things wear out are possible, but a whole new bike really isn’t. So, I need to buy something that will last me as I (hopefully) get better. I am wary of anything billed as ‘entry level’.
    -I’m new to mtb, but not to cycling. I’m fit, I like riding up hills. I’ll have a go at pretty much any trail I come across except the vertical downhill stuff.
    -I have no idea what all these different XC/enduro/trail genres really mean, but in terms of riding style I’ve been riding a hybrid with rim brakes and cross tyres around the Calder Valley. Bridleway to Blue Pig is the hardest thing I’ve tried – had to push over the dropoffs/big steps, but rode the rest. Did the Lumb Bank zig zags on the hybrid. Managed the Pecket Well-Midgehole bridleway on a borrowed Rockhopper. I want to be able to get down the Blue Pig eventually.
    -I’m pretty handy at bike fettling. Ideally I want something with components that I can clean, service, grease etc to prolong their life. I like reliable, quality components where they’re worth it, but don’t mind the cheaper ones where they’re just as satisfactory or are likely to get worn out and replaced anyway.
    -I have no strong views on wheel size. My hybrid is effectively a 29er. The Rockhopper was 26. Can’t say I noticed the wheels making a load of difference, although logic tells me the bigger the wheels, the more weight I’m lugging around.
    -I don’t want a carbon fibre frame – I don’t trust myself with carbon (my road bike is titanium).

Thanks for any helpful advice anyone can be bothered to offer.

cinnamon_girl

Sorry but everything will be rubbish after riding titanium!

Steel? May be pushing the budget for that unless you check out the Classifieds.

woodnut
    Free Member

The good news is you’ve plenty of choice. For £1300 you could get a light(ish) XC hardtail, or a slightly less light trail type hardtail..
    For a grand, what about the Boardman pro 29er?
    Or look at the German direct sales bikes, Canyon, Rose, Radon (I’ve just got one of those)
    Have fun deciding! It’s actually one of the best bits (imo)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cinnamon_girl

Are you able to build it yourself? That may give you more options.

There are 3 different wheel sizes to choose from, as regards forks then I would say 100mm or 120mm travel would be fine. Forks make a huge difference as do wheels. Basically if you wanted to upgrade then these are the most important.

slowoldman

If you have half an eye for a decent bike you can do very well secondhand. OK no good for work scheme but as an example I got a Ragley Piglet which had quite obviously never turned a wheel for £400.

mattjg
    Free Member

Head For The Hills in Dorking have one of these in the window: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/ht-29/high-latitude

Looks lovely.

fishonabike
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden Ti on the road – surely everything will feel great compared to a recycled hybrid?!

I wondered about building it, but then dismissed the idea as i think i’d be guaranteed to cock up the compatibility somewhere. all my fettling has been on road bikes – disc brakes and suspension will be new territory.

what is the difference between a trail & xc bike? geometry? strength?

taxi25
    Free Member

Hard to advise on what bike to get threads. All you can do really is think of something you might like yourself.
    On that basis I’d be looking at the Canyon grand canyon al slx’s. No reason that it would be better or worse than anything else. But its great value and they start well within your price range.

woodnut
    Free Member

Basically trail will be slacker head angle & 120/130mm fork, probably easier to ride fast downhill on technical stuff. XC usually 100mm fork , lighter & easier to ride fast uphill :D…that’s very basic though and people will no doubt point out that their trail bike is faster uphill than my XC bike …etc

fishonabike
    Free Member

I was a bit tempted by this http://www.keswickbikes.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=14844 but then could I love a Trek? The Genesis bikes have a bit more ‘ooh, stroke me factor’ in my opinion, and I struggle to overcome the Halfords factor with a Boardman. Which are all totally superficial irrational reasons for bike choice, I know!
    I definitely prefer the riding bit to the choosing bit!

tmb467
    Free Member

From my experience, a long travel hard-tail gave me the most fun

Slack head angle, preferably with a tapered headtube to allow for future fork upgrades would be my starting point.

But – if you’re going more XC than downhill then I’d be looking at a carbon 29er

woodnut
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with that Trek…Even as a happy owner of 2 Genesis bikes though, I think they’re not the best value…and they don’t seem “bothered” about MTBs as a company anymore.
    If you do want to go more for a longer travel bike, have you considered a On one 456? Lots of people love ’em.

mike399
    Free Member

Hi there,
    As said above, if you are trying to improve your abilities on the downs, I would suggest a slacker head angle and 120 – 140mm forks. In my opinion, it makes a much more fun bike all round which is still good on the climbs. Racier XC bikes will inevitably feel more tentative on steeper trails with ‘head down, arse up’, over the front wheel positioning.
    I’m guessing you live in Hebden? Blazing saddles will give you a test ride – although they will charge you, they will knock it off the cost of the bike.
    Personally, I’d be looking at an On One 45650b or something like – and they do C2W too. You may even be able to persude a certain Hebden based designer to give you a tester.
    If you want to try my Ragley Blue Pig down the, er, Blue Pig one evening give me a shout.
    Of course if you want second hand….
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-on-one-inbred-18-24

mattjg
    Free Member

From my experience, a long travel hard-tail gave me the most fun

me too, I’m pretty much settled in a trailsy 29er HT (68 degrees at 120mm) as my go-to bike nowadays

perhaps a fast XC bike would be marginally faster at times, but I’m no podium chaser so that’s of no consequence to me. I like the stability and planted feel of my trail bike, it’s fun to ride and that’s why most of us are here. it’s as close to a ‘do-it-all’ bike as I’m going to get and handled the reds and blues at BPW fine, as well as faster more XC based local rides.

Clink

voodoo bizango – upgrade parts as necessary

Jeffus
    Free Member

Dont have one myself but thought the Orange 29er hardtail seemed a good do it all bike,

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork_s/

Duggan

In situations like this it seems to me the best thing to do is simply make a list of maybe 5-10 bikes you like the look of.

Then, scan the specifications and just pick the one that is least inappropriate for your needs.

Does having a bike that looks nice make a better bike? No. Will it make you want to ride it more? Probably.

grtdkad

Jeffus that Clockwork S is pretty well discounted (to £849) here http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=2058&category_id=57

(I’m waiting for one to be delivered).

JPR
    Free Member

Personally I’d be looking at either a 26 or 29er Inbred. Both well under budget and it’s a frame that will take upgrades happily. Bit heavy,

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed- looking for a decent hardtail’ is closed to new replies.