Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice needed invest in current bike or not??
  • v55drw
    Free Member

Got my specialized stumpjumper 2013 evo expert carbon booked in for a service and change of the big ring due to a few missing teeth after a rock strike last year. Been to the shop in question to enquire about a new bike I’ve had my eye on. I’m either going to go 1×11 on the stumpy and keep it or am considering getting it done like for like (cheaper) for eBay etc and getting a new bike (five pro). While the yearning for the new bike is obviously there is it pointless changing the stumpy and losing money in what it’s worth against a aluminium 650b bike.

Already have a 2012 stumpy aluminium, therefore three mountain bikes doesn’t make sense to me if I wait and eventually get a new one, shop said the change in wheel size alone is worth it…

Carbon stumpy has pikes on it as of December, carbon renthal bars, stans flow ex with hope pro evo 2 and xt brakes.

Advice is sought as to whether the change is stupid and to invest money in the stumpy, secondly approximate value of the carbon bike which is immaculate in truth.

How do you manage to keep getting new bikes every few years without amassing a fleet of similar bikes that all need riding and maintaining.

Stevet1
    Free Member

shop said the change in wheel size alone is worth it…

They saw you coming.

jam-bo

How do you manage to keep getting new bikes every few years without amassing a fleet of similar bikes that all need riding and maintaining.

easy, break them.

v55drw
    Free Member

Yeah I realise the wheel change comment is nonsense I was highlighting the fact that I didn’t get anywhere speaking to them regarding values of current bike and how worthwhile investing more in the stumpy is. Hence why I’ve tapped into the hive mind. N+1 versus shiny bits on carbon bike.

Saccades
    Free Member

I can’t understand why you bought a stumpy in 2012 and then bought another in 2013 and then didn’t get rid of one of them.

Wheel size change might be worth it if you are top of your game, otherwise the incremental differences are quite expensive for what they are (if there are any at all for you).

Dump a stumpy – personally I’d keep the carbon (or whichever has a tapered steerer, if both keep the carbon) and just get the drivechain replaced if it needs it. If you have a new bike itch get something different.

You can get a new bike every few years if you dispose of the old ones – it’s rarely cost effective as depreciation is savage with bikes.

n+1 is pointless if n = the same bike x100000000

Get shineys or different bikes.

wrecker
    Free Member

Looks like your upgraded bike is going to be worth around £1700 – £1800.
    The Five pro is £2800. Will you feel £1000 worth of difference? No, but you’ll have a new shiney bike.
    If you can afford to part with £1000 for the new bike feeling then crack on!

v55drw
    Free Member

2012 stumpy was an insurance replacement and the carbon stumpy was a good end of year deal. I see what you’re saying and something I’ve considered is going for a different type of bike.

amedias
    Free Member

shop said the change in wheel size alone is worth it

well they would say that 😉

only you can tell if it’s worth it for you but an extra inch on your wheels isn’t going to make you fitter or more skilled.

Dead easy, either don’t get a new similar bike every few years, or sell the old ones if you haven’t broken them.

If you like what you’ve got then keep it and ride it and sell the older one and buy a different kind of bike for some variety.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Does the bike do what you want to do, or is it holding you back? If no then keep it and get something different like a HT, or a CX or whatever.

If you’ve already got a similar one then sell whichever you like less.

Im riding a 2008 Trance and that only replaced a 2003 Enduro this year because it finally broke.
    People are too obsessed with shiny an new, when really their current bikes will be just fine.

v55drw
    Free Member

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. Although sometimes do feel like I’m being told off on here! 1×11 it is.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m investing a small inheritance rebuilding my beloved Soul – going 1×11, losing a couple of pounds in weight with new wheels/tyres/forks.

I’d love something with bigger wheels, but couldn’t get anything that will ride – or look – as nice as the old Soul for the money I had available.

And, lets face it, I’m an overweight middle aged hacker, not an Atherton. I’d still be shit no matter what bike I bought!

amedias
    Free Member

Although sometimes do feel like I’m being told off on here

That’s because the internet can’t convey our ‘friendly banter’ intentions and it comes across as ‘condescending asshat’

Sorry about that, I feel a bit told off now… 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed invest in current bike or not??’ is closed to new replies.