Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Advice needed – hardtail to full sus
  • sambuka
    Free Member

I’d like to get a full sus bike moving from my charge duster 11… My current thinking is to sell the duster but it occurred to me I might be better off buying a full sus frame and converting my existing bike which has good components. Could I build up a full sus frame with alfine components? The duster only has 100 mm reba forks, so I’d probably need to replace these with 140 so that’s an extra cost…

Here’s the alfine spec http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountainbikes/product/review-charge-bikes-duster-eleven-12-45866

I need lockable suspension back and front.

I’m considering the Whyte t129 if I sell up, but I’d prefer not to blow so much cash…

Or should I keep the duster until I decide if full sus is the right choice for me? I love the duster, but I think I might love full sus more.

I mostly ride cx, no racing, occasional trail centre, lots of Ashton Court, Leigh Woods. Love the gap ride, looking forward toa Torridon trip later this year.

Thanks for your intelligent hive insight and occasional derision ; )

northernmatt

You’d need something that pivots around the BB so there wouldn’t be any chain stretch.

Anyway, n+1.

grey

You can fit an Alfine to a FS bike you just have to get a chain tensioner that will suit it.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m running an alfine on a giant trance.

Get a double pivot tensioner and your fine.

If you have any specific questions then just ask

thepodge
    Free Member

Oh and why do you need lockable front & rear suspension?

sambuka
    Free Member

Thanks

Specific Qs…

What is a double pivot tensioner?

Lockable – those long climbs!

N+1 or DIY Frankenstein full sus ? !

thepodge
    Free Member

A tensioner with two pivots & two jockey wheels, looks more like a rear mech. I had limited success with cheap single pivot tensioners

Learn to love your suspension, don’t lock it off, learn to spin instead of mash up hills.

sambuka
    Free Member

Doesn’t full rear sus sap the power out of your climb? I rode a rigid 1988 rock hopper until I got the duster so bear with me if I have some naive questions!

thepodge
    Free Member

If you’re worried about sapping power don’t go dragging a heavy & inefficient hub everywhere

They are two different bikes, to get the best out of them you have to ride them two different ways

sambuka
    Free Member

So in your opinion better to go n+1 I guess

thepodge
    Free Member

No, just be realistic about what you want.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed – hardtail to full sus’ is closed to new replies.