Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Advice needed – Hardtail for 6' 2" fella
  • bullheart
    Free Member

Thought I’d ask for some advice…

I’m looking for a bike for my cousin. He wants something between 115mm – 130mm at the front, hardtail, with a low stand over height but a fairly longish top tube, and costing between £400-£500. I ride a 17″ PA and he and I are nearly the same dimensions, but some of the bikes I’ve short-listed will be too small in the top tube for him, so I’m looking for advice from owners of said bikes;

Genesis Abyss 18″
    Cove Handjob/Stiffee 17.5″/19″
    Marin (the ‘hardcore hardtail’ variety) 17.5″/19″
    Orange P7 17″/19″
    Rocky Mountain Hammer 19″

Any others except Inbreds/Ragleys

I don’t want to know how they ride; just how they fit. And we won’t buy before we try either; its just a case of finding out how real riders find their bikes. I think the Abyss and the Hammer look great and appropriate, and the Cove(s) a little short, but you lot are the experts.

Fire away!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Inbreds then?

My 20″ inbred and Summer season (now both sold) and ti 456 I have now fit me well and I’m 6ft 1″

wors

Was going to say a piglet.

bullheart
    Free Member

Honestly? It’s just a preference he and I both have. I’m positive they’re great bikes.

bullheart
    Free Member

And second-hand too. I can’t get a complete Piglet for that sort of money.

If anyone has anything for sale let me know.

wors

Sorry assumed frame only. Boardman, canyon as well but mail order.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Voodoo wanga?
    Or 29er at that height

CiderRiderRich
    Free Member

Am 6’2″ and own a Scandal (ace) and a Boardman (crap). I am sure the Boardman frames are fine at the smaller sizes, but in a large mine is very bendy.

My Scandal is a super frame – highly recommended.

Rich

jonnyv
    Free Member

I’m 6 2 and I find my Cotic large fits like a (bike) glove,get a ride on a Soul large if you can before you part with your £££’s

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve got an older 21″ Hammer (I’m just over 6’2″) Was designd for 85mm travel but I ran 115mm Reba’s on them no problem – the newer frames will no doubt be better. As far as fits concerned it was perfect for me – it does have a long head tube but that’s pretty good IMO, stops you from tipping over the fornt on teh techincal steep stuff going down.

p7rich
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and love my 2009 19″ P7 to bits. Fits like a glove and rides like you’re very much ‘in it’ not ‘on it’. Delete the 17″ option.

Albanach
    Free Member

I’m 6’5″ (17 1/2 stone) and have a 2005 21″ Cove Handjob and I really enjoy riding it and the fit is good – I have got a laid back post but that’s by the by really. Got a set of Fox vanillas on it – lovely to ride.

j_me
    Free Member

Orange P7 17″ would be too small IMO.
    19” here and 6′ 0.

bullheart
    Free Member

Many thanks fellas!

Went for a large 456 in the end; despite my reservations, it seemed like a good choice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed – Hardtail for 6' 2" fella’ is closed to new replies.